devilhide

Tidying Up The Bottom Stitch With A Cowboy Sew Or Cobra Class Type Machine

Hi could anyone give me some tips on tidying up the bottom stitch. I can't seem to get the right tension. I have attached an image to point out my problem.

Looking forward to a reply :)

here is the image

post-56580-0-37384800-1443809329_thumb.j

I own a Cobra 4 and have found that very small, incremental tension adjustments (using the double loop tensioner, closest to the needle, first) on scrap pieces are the only way I could attain neat, proper looking stiches. I prefer LR pointed needles to get the stiches to look clean and slightly canted. Once you get the stich to look the way you want, and you change leather thickness, thread weight and needle size do not change the tension until you try stitching on a scrap of the material you will be using. I have found most times no adjustments are really needed. If any tension change is called for, make only tiny, 1/16-1/8 turn adjustments, to bury the knot in the stich. Just don't give up or get too frustrated. It will come.

jr

What is the thread size and what are the stitches per inch? What size needle? It almost looks to me like you're using too small of a stitch length for the thread size.

Once you get the tensions right, then you can really help out the stitch appearance with an overstitch wheel. The attached scan shows the bottom side of a stitched strap. The right side had a wheel ran over it and looks pretty darn close to top stitching.

post-29-0-71259000-1444352501_thumb.jpg

ok first of all thanks for the replying everyone. I have been experimenting as locally I have nobody that could help with this. My main problem is the tension I think, I have changed from a 25/200 d needle to a 180/24 lr both running a 277 thread. I'm pretty sure my stitch length was to close. I have had some great results with no real difference between top and bottom stitch when stitching thicker leather with this combo but tried it on a thinner piece and it was pants and run out of time. will have another play! thanks for the help.