JLSleather

Wickett/craig

Anybody else seen a downslide in the quality of drum dyed skirting? I called 'em about the last batch, though I didn't send it back. So this time they discounted it just a bit, I guess for that. But, these hides are better, but still not the quality i'm used to seeing from W/C.

Guess I'm going to go back to using just H.O. for a while.

I guess I'll find out shortly, I have a batch on the way. What are you seeing?

Leather is a bit spongey.. especially in the black skirting. The brown and the chestnut not as much, but the black has WAY too much waste.

That's always been a characteristic of the W & C as far as I'm concerned. Nice leather but the yield is never as good; you can't cut nearly as far down in the side as HO. Got some dark brown skirting on it's way and waiting on some more that'll be another couple weeks (they said that a month ago too) so I guess I'll find out.

Leather is a bit spongey.. especially in the black skirting. The brown and the chestnut not as much, but the black has WAY too much waste.

can you place a few photos here ? so we can see what's the matter over there

I talked with a rep about this, and told 'em if I wanted to call HO I would have already done that.. but I called W/C to see what we do to fix this problem. Maybe the only way around it is after the first of the year, just take a trip out to PA and pick it myself.

Older thread I know but I have been buying backs from Wickett & Craig for years and yes, the quality has steadily declined. My last few orders probably had at least 30 - 40% waste and they were just pretty poor overall really. Spongey (and I pay extra for holstering!), lots of blemishes and stretch marks and even though I have them split, leveled and the back pasted - the backside in areas is still shaggy. Don't get it. And these were backs, not sides! I have come to think that they simply choose the worst hides for drum dyed - especially the black and I will no longer order black or brown. Doesn't matter what grade (I only buy the best grade) or how much you pay them per square ft. for it. I complained to them and even offered to pay them more if I could get some better quality hides to no avail. Same old crap. As a matter of fact It has become such a huge disappointment that I am even thinking of retiring earlier than I had wanted to. I think the drought has something to do with it but come on. If their top grade back still has 40% waste then how much would their cheapest grade have? How do they expect us to make a living off of this stuff? Wickett & Craig, I hope you read this!!!

Yep, I totally agree, I've been using strictly W&C for over 20 years and the last two batches I've gotten have been total crap !

And when you add in shipping to Arizona it's costing me a fortune.

Not sure what to do, I'm going to try some H.O. ... We'll see

Yeah, if it was just up the road, I'd go pick the hides I want. But that's a pretty good day's travel for me. I'm much closer to H.O in St Louis, so if I was taking a day to go select hides I'd certainly be tempted to go there first.

I did buy two more hides through the mail.. one not so bad, one really not so good.

Since we're discussing suppliers, I ordered a couple sides from Weaver - just to test the water. Best described as "MEH' -- I expected a bit nicer, but they aren't like 'send it back' material, either.

Edited by JLSleather

I tried Weaver once back in the 90's .. Once was enough.

I'm going to give Hide House and Panhandle leather a shot because they are closer to me, I usually order 10 hides or less at a time so going directly through H.O is not an option.

I would sure like to see the hide market return to some thing resembling normal.

Yep, I'm in the 10 and under crowd too ;) That's a LOT of holsters (for one guy), and with 20+ sides I worry about controlling the humidity until I can get it used. Really don't want a bunch of dry leather where I have to condition each piece that goes out.

But I think I'm just at the point where I'm going to go PICK the hides I want. What I save at the tannery will get used up in plane tickets, but at least I'll be getting the stuff that I want.

20% waste is expected. 40%-50% is unacceptable. I would never send that stuff out, but apparently not all of us have the same commitment to quality and looks.

Nah. Been there. Ordered a couple shoulders just to see what quality looked like. When it got here, I gave some away and used some for testing new holster patterns (and then pitching when the pattern was verified).

It really aggravates me that My self and others who have worked our butts off for 20 or more years building up full time professional Makers companies find ourselves faced with this, How are we supposed to provide a quality product at a fair price AND make a living like this ... Maybe my customers won't see the difference but I sure will.

And that Difference bothers Me.