Redhairing

How To Hand Stitch Hair On Hide Leather W/ Flesh Sides Together...?

Hi- I am making a simple hair on hide and glued on pigskin lined flat tote bag. Raw edge work with right sides out and won't be able to scribe my line for a pricking chisel. All I can come up with is to pierce along the edge of a ruler and sew as I go. Any good tips out there would be appreciated!

WOW! 86 views and no replies! Well I finished the bag and here is what I did...instead of pricking my stitch holes through the face of the hair on hide and not being able to see through the layer of hair on both faces of the bag, I carefully measured my starting and end points and made holes from the pigskin lined back on each side of the bag individually and hoped that the holes would match up when I stitched the front and back together. I am happy to report that it worked beautifully and probably because of the uncomplicated simple shape of the bag. thanks.

Yeah, I was waiting for a response too. Maybe you can post some photos of what you did so the rest of us can learn from ya? Thanks in advance!

YinTx

Hide of this kind defies most traditional rules, doesn't it?

Your marking out and punching/pricking stitches all have to be from the inner, flesh side which, usually being a dull grey on bovine hides, is fairly clear to see.

I never, ever, though stitched this hide with any form of overlap seam . . always reckoned that would be an utterly, endless, mindless game trying to find the damn hole to put the needles back through. :crazy::deadsubject:

100D0003a (1).jpg

100D0008.jpg

100D0006.jpg