tzigonie

Consistent Cuts? Having A Hard Time!

Hello! I'm newer to working with leather and it's been an awesome hobby to learn! However, I'm having some difficulty with having consistent cuts that make two pieces almost identical. What are some tools, tips, tricks, that you all have used to help make those consistent cuts?

Thanks!

Clicker dies

Nice answer, practice is the key the more you cut the better you will get at it, and very sharp knives.

Nice answer, practice is the key the more you cut the better you will get at it, and very sharp knives.

I second kevinp's answer but not just sharp knives....QUALITY tools of all kinds and remember when you think they are sharp enough sharpen them some more.

Pay attention to how you cut your pieces.  If you cut out one piece from the butt and then the second from the belly, they won't match.  Also pay attention the moisture in the leather.  Try to do your matching pieces at the same time so that they both have about the same moisture content.  Don't pull and stretch the leather as you cut it.  Rather sharpen your tools again, and again, and again!  Practice cuts as much as you can.

Someone once told me in a class (I haven't followed this advice) that he cases every thing he works on. His leather is wet when he cuts and bevells it.

If I am trying to mate two pieces I will cut the first and trace the second off of it. Cut the second one slightly larger. Then I glue them together and sand to true up the edges.

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

I glue them together and sand to true up the edges.

This is what I do also.

Or use double sided tape to hold them together while you sand to true up the edges.

Edited by Troy I

2 hours ago, Troy I said:

This is what I do also.

Or use double sided tape to hold them together while you sand to true up the edges.

I just got double sided tape last weekend. I used it on a wallet yesterday. Worked like a charm.

I case everything but chap leather.  Rubber cement works wonders, as it sticks, but not permanently, and the residue can (normally) be removed by rubbing.  For a quicker match, use a surform tool with a curved face, then sand and burnish as required/desired.  Double sticky tape might work on wallet pieces, but for saddle work it would be cumbersome and expensive when rubber cement is available.