JLSleather

Yeah, It Matters.

Search the web, and you'll find a BUNCH of "right" ways to measure for a belt - some downright weird. But, one issue at a time, perhaps. Ever seen one of those sites that tell you to measure from the fold in the belt? Here's why that doesn't work...

post-13153-0-01363000-1444084644_thumb.g

I send people detailed instructions and pictures, and some of them still manage to **** up the measurement.

I send people detailed instructions and pictures, and some of them still manage to **** up the measurement.

Yep, I know. That is at least partially due to the many "professionals' passing out idiotic "instructions". I get people call me, wanna know 'how do I measure for a belt"... well - how would you measure for anything?

Probably next in line, is the guy (or gal) who thinks that the 8 oz belt and the 14 oz belt should measure the same ...

Yep, that outside radius will bite em every time.

I made one of Jim's belts. Goes from 24" to like 56" or 62" So I can do anything from a kid to a sumo wrassler!

But, natch, I do not have people calling me for info on belts either.

I have told people to find a belt they own and measure that. Sometimes works, sometimes they **** that up.

Knock on wood - haven't had a bad measurement sent to me yet.

But I do send detailed instructions.

Edited by cgleathercraft

I ask, or better yet, measure them my self, from center of stomach all the way around through the belt loops back to the center point. Then I take into consideration what buckle I will use. I never cut final length till the belt is basically done tooling and buckle fold, lining glued on and ready to stain and stitch. then I set the length from the buckle hook, or front bar to the center of the holes. I usually use 7 holes so number 4. Not had a problem doing it that way.

Bob

I do mine just like Bob and never had one that didn't fit. I keep waiting for JLS to tell us his inspired method instead of talking about what others do wrong. Share your method Jeff so we can all do it 'right.' Cheryl

I read on one conceal carry gun belt makers site that they measure the belts by adding 4" to the waist size of pants for men. IE if one has a 36" waist order a 40" belt or if one has different sized paint such as jeans that are 38" and slacks that are 36" they want the largest measurement for the belt. For women they recommend the using a fabric tape measure and measure the waist through the belt loops.

I used this method for a conceal carry belt for a friend with six holes. He usually carries inside the waist band holsters. I used two pieces of 1.5" wide 9oz veg tanned glued and stitched together using a plain brass buckle from Tandy. He carries daily and has had the belt now for a little over a month, he states that so far it is the best gun belt he has ever had. So now I'm going to make myself a belt using this method of measuring and see how it turns out.

Yep. I'm not seeing where people who "never" get a bad size are making too many belts. That's like a carpenter who never hits his thumb with a hammer. You know who NEVER hits his thumb with a hammer? Someone who doesn't use a hammer! That's like a leather worker who "never' gets a cut.

Belts are my biggest selling item and I've never had one that didn't no matter what your home spun wisdom tells you. Doesn't mean I never will if someone doesn't understand my instructions. Oh YEAH which you still aren't sharing :)

Well I'm new to the belt making game made one for myself and two others. I have already had one that was measured incorrectly. So about 33% of mine have been incorrect.

The secret is... there's NO SECRET :)

Measure around where you want to put the belt, then give me the number. Simple. I don't know HOW people mess that up, but they do.

The first post is for leather people, though - not the customer. Once you DO have the right number, it matters what buckle you're using. Say someone measures their belt and tells you it's 35" from the fold to the hole they use. That's fine IF you're using the same buckle or a similar one. But take off a buckle that's 1" long, and put on a buckle that's 4" long, and now you have a belt that is 3" too big!

For once, I'm batting 1000! Made just one belt for someone else. The buckle he wanted for the belt was the same size his normal buckle was. I made the belt so the middle hole was the same length of the hole he used on his old belt, then I put two holes on either side.

Now as to the finish and edging, that was cruddy work to be sure...

For once, I'm batting 1000! Made just one belt for someone else. The buckle he wanted for the belt was the same size his normal buckle was.

Sweet ;)

If you're within 1/2", just tell 'em push away from the table occasionally!