In woodwork vinegaroon is called ebonizing solution and I am familiar with it. The only drawback is the reaction is only surface deep. If you sand it you lose it. Of course you just reapply and you are good to go. At least that has been my experience. Wood is obviously not leather. I have been doing dome research and cannot find any drawbacks to vinegaroon, but I thought I would check.

I know you put the item in the vinegaroon when you are finished so the holes get the reaction as well.

I know the thread is not affected.

I know that baking soda and a good rinse will neutralize it.

What am I missing and what are the possible pitfalls of this type of leather covering. Is the reaction deep enough to allow for bending without fading?

The reaction on a piece of vegtan that is dipped is all the way through. The disadvantage as I see it is that you need to make sure you neutralize the acid or it will weaken the leather fibers. If you use too strong a baking soda solution you can burn the leather. I use 1 table baking soda to 1 quart water.

Remember to oil the leather with neatsfoot oil after it dries. It will really improve the color and return some of the oil to the leather.

Thank you. I was not aware of the hazzards of putting the leather in to long. How long should it be left in?

The soda bath? I use 30 seconds. The real danger is making it too strong not leaving it in to long as far as I know.

thanks