I have tried making three different cases for speed loaders and am not having any luck. I've never made a leather case before so that doesn't help matters any. I've tried making my own pattern and tried reworking a pattern meant for something else. I really just need a tried and true pattern and haven't been able to find anything. Do any of y'all have a pattern or even advice? I would really appreciate it!

How are you going about making the pattern? If I was going tonmake one I would wet mold around the speed loader and ammo.

I been busy , cept fer a couple o ramblin, mindless (and sometimes pointless) forum posts. But I still say a fella otta be able to form around a 1 3/8" dowel rod. ;)

Something to be said for KISS. The speed loaders are 2 pieces of leather, 5 rivets, and one Sam Brown button. Guy was up today and loves them. FWIW, the Sam Brown's worked much better than line 24. And pull the dots would have been overkill. The flap loops behind the belt.

53863908-2DFA-4822-A31A-796DB91A04F0_zps

post-23581-0-83794400-1444647379_thumb.jpost-23581-0-43071600-1444647418_thumb.jpost-23581-0-60261200-1444647442_thumb.j

This was mine.......2nd one , first one was to the same customer, so I guess they like them.

One piece of leather, wet molded to the speedloader

Not seeing how you did the one piece of leather. Loop is separate piece?

Thank you all so much. The husband and baby are still asleep or I'd take a picture of what I have so far. I love the pictures y'all sent, and I would absolutely use them as a base to go off, except my friend wants hers to be enclosed.

Yes, it's a revolver. She has a S&W Ladysmith and has two speedloaders she wants a case for. The case (and holster) will be going on a shoulder rig, so I have to keep it as compact as possible. She's a small-framed lady. Luckily she carries a small gun with tiny speedloaders!

From the looks of it, Cleanview's and mine cover similar ground. Do something like his for coverage, but do the rivets like mine and you will shrink the footprint of the pouch. Notice his has outside rivets and wings, mine has round sides and riveted through them. You will need an anvil to set the rivets inside the pouch. Not making any right or wrong assumptions, just that doing away with the wings meets your criteria for smaller.

FWIW, I know the customer always wants things but sometimes they want them for the wrong reasons. At first I wanted to fully cover them too. Until I got to tinkering with them and realized my main concern was rounds coming out and that is not going to happen. Secure the speed loader frame and you secure the rounds by default. Just a thought.

Stumbled across this pic for what it is worth...

http://www.code3tactical.com/galco-ssl-speed-loader-case.aspx

Glad to see you finally asking good questions!!

Har har! All my questions are good questions! ;)

This is what I've got so far. I was working with two pieces of dowel wrapped with rubber band to keep them together, but I got my husband to make me a flat-bottom piece to mold the leather easier. The side flaps will attach to a separate back piece (not pictured). The long section of the T wraps completely around to form the flap and belt loop (the it will also be sewn to the separate back piece).

She's worried her rounds will fall out if the loaders aren't fully enclosed. Seeing as how I know nothing about speed loaders, I'm doing as she asked. I don't know if she has a different kind of loader or what. Now I'm just waiting on my husband to get home with the new block so I can get back to work!

post-62762-0-51371300-1444768347_thumb.j

post-62762-0-84623200-1444768363_thumb.j

post-62762-0-27461200-1444768379_thumb.j

Bah, your first questions were things you just needed a pat on the back for. Not that we don't give those out, too, though!

I like what you have so far, but here is my chief concern. If she needs to reload, she'll grab one speed loader, what will keep the other in place when that happens?

Keep going!! Doing great!! :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: Rah rah!! :)

no picture of mine in the makings....but that is pretty much what mine looked like when cut out.

She's worried her rounds will fall out if the loaders aren't fully enclosed.

Just for clarification is she worried her rounds will fall out of her speed loaders or her speed loaders will fall out of the carrier?

If she is worried about her rounds falling out of her speed loader then she is either not getting the round seated in the loader correctly or she has the wrong loader.

I would agree that dual loaders should be in separate sections. If one is removed, the other can 'flop' around in there, or lay flat (making it hard or impossible to grab). Stitch a line between them, or use a divider (I'd stitch).

If I'm remembering correctly, she's worried her rounds will fall out of the loader if they're not 100% enclosed in a case. Otherwise I would make a much simpler case! I did think it a little weird that rounds would fall out. Not effective or safe.

I will tell her what y'all said and see what she wants to do as far as separating the loaders in the case. Thank you!

FWIW, if they fall out in the enclosed case she is still screwed. This is where I help customers think there logic out to it's conclusion. if she's worried about the speed loader, get a better speed loader. The case won't fix the problem. But, in the words of my daughter, "I'm pushy like that." No reason to do extra work that won't solve the problem she's concerned about.

Good solution to the problem on your end though.

I relayed all this information to her and she said something along the lines of 'if it can be messed up, I'm the one to do it,' but thanked me and said let's stick with the enclosed case. Which, by the way, is coming along nicely. The edges are a little rough still and I'm sure I'm putting it together wrong, but for my first ever case, I think it will come out alright. I will probably end up making a new one so she has a better one.

If she was using a K frame, I would suggest the Safariland Comp III speed loader. Since she is using a J frame, I would suggest a JetLoader. Both of these speed loaders requires for the rounds to be inserted and the center button to be depressed once the ejector bar is encountered. The rounds will not come out of the speed loader within reason.

The JetLoader is tall and easy to retrieve from a pouch, even covered. The other twist type speed loaders are a waste, in my opinion, under any kind of stress. They must be grabbed by the knob when pulled from the pouch without twisting the knob and inserted into the cylinder before releasing the rounds. It is funny sad to see someone under competition stress to dump their rounds half in the cylinder and half on the ground because their brain told them NOW.

When I compete with a K frame, I use the Safariland Comp III, a speed loader that is comparable in size with the Jetloader and both are released by pressure on top of the button ONCE THE ROUNDS ARE SEATED.

Carried vertical on a gun belt, the two spring loaded speed loaders will not be noticed. Same diameter, just a little taller.

I like to talk speed loaders.

Thank you, I will tell her about the JetLoader! I'm sure she will be pleased. :)

Guys, I finished it. Phew! Like I said, it's a little rough still and I will more than likely redo it to give her a better one. But here you go! The last picture has the shoulder rig attachment in the belt loop.

post-62762-0-73429600-1444937462_thumb.j

post-62762-0-15020800-1444937479_thumb.j

post-62762-0-64094500-1444937495_thumb.j

post-62762-0-21274900-1444937515_thumb.j

post-62762-0-20208200-1444937536_thumb.j