Austyn

Leather Squeaking.

Ive been having a problem with my belts recently..

I hand wax my belts and after a week of wear the leather starts to squeak... anyway to get this to stop?

thanks,

What width belt, what kind of wax, whose leather do you use?

For black belts I dip them in neatsfoot oil

Belt - 1 1/2 wide, beeswax, Springfield's Heavy HermannOak Leather 10-11oz

Belt - 1 1/2 wide, beeswax, Springfield's Heavy HermannOak Leather 10-11oz

Is the squeak coming from the front of the belt where it overlaps?

Correct.

I cant be certain but it sounds like its the bee's wax between the two pieces of leather that is causing the squeak. Try taking bee's wax and neatsfoot oil 50/50 by weight. melt it and stir well. When cool apply to leather and then hit it with a hair dryer to melt it a little. Buff and see if this solves the problem. This is what I use for a wax finish. Technically I use 25% bee's wax, 25% carnuba wax and 50% neatsfoot oil by weight.

I cant be certain but it sounds like its the bee's wax between the two pieces of leather that is causing the squeak. Try taking bee's wax and neatsfoot oil 50/50 by weight. melt it and stir well. When cool apply to leather and then hit it with a hair dryer to melt it a little. Buff and see if this solves the problem. This is what I use for a wax finish. Technically I use 25% bee's wax, 25% carnuba wax and 50% neatsfoot oil by weight.

I have used the Bee's wax/neatsfoot oil paste and like it very much. A beautiful deep finish. It can rub sometimes so I use it for hefty outdoor gear but save the day to day stuff for resolene. What qualities does the carnuba bring to the mixture? The carnuba you are adding is liquid or is there another way to purchase it. I am ALWAYS interested in trying new stuff.

The carnuba I use is a solid wax. I got it on eBay. Mine came as pellets. It's harder than bee's wax so it makes the finish longer lasting.

Thanks for your input! Ill give it a shot and get back to you!

i was a police officer for 30 yrs wearing leather, don't think i ever got it to stop squeaking. lol

Edited by mustangman2

Been a while since I've been on here but I have two saddles that squeak A LOT lol. Barely used, yard sale specials. Would that mixture help there too?