ksungjune

I Need A Help In Buying Sewing Machine

Hi, I am a carpenter living in Toronto.

At first I got interested in sewing to repair my own bags and work clothes, then my interest moved forward to making my own leather tool bags, pouches and belts, which carpenters use everyday.

That was about 2 months ago and I am still researching and googling to buy right sewing machine.

I hardly have any actual experience in sewing except youtube videos and articles I saw recently.

Thanks to people here, now I know a few things like, I can't just buy 'industrial' sewing machine. walking foot is used for heavy garments or thick leathers.

I saw Brother DB2-B756 was on Kijiji and was gonna just grab it and start from there.

Then another searching found that DB2-790 is not fit for heavy leather sewing, so B756 is not likely to handle it either.

It is hard to choose right machine for me since I have no knowledge and also full time work doesn't allow me to spend more time into study.

Can I get some advice in buying right machine that can handle to sew thick leather to make leather tool belt and pouch?

I am thinking to buy old machine and restore it myself, buy extra parts if needed, and start from there.

Look in to a 441 clone .. It is for sewing heavy leather items and parts are easy to locate ..

Tool belt sounds like you would sew up to 6mm or maybe 8mm, right? If so then basically I´d say one of the Singer 111 class machines with triple feed / compound feed would meet your requirements. There are many many models on the market. If you are looking for a used flat bed machine check for Adler (or Chandler) 67 / 167, Singer 111w155 / 111w156, Singer 211 (don´t know all the sub classes), Pfaff 145 / 545, Juki 562 / 563, Consew 226, Consew 206 just to mention some of the most common models. Some older machines may not have a reveres function.

if you are unsure check with one of the dealers who have banners on top of this site. Most have new and used machines. They may cost more but you are buying serviced machines and you have support from the dealer.

I"m with Constabulary. For what you describe, you're going to want something that sews with like 92 to 20 thread. A flat bed machine is likely fine, but if you can get that size range in a cylinder, some of them include removable work tables (or can be fitted with one) for extra versatility. And reverse is awesome ;)

Thanks a lot everyone!

I will do my research again based on advices and get back when I have updates to report. :notworthy:

Ksungjune you probably already had your question answered but I sewed many, MANY carpenter bags on a JukiLU563 (which I think is a Jap copy, or is based on the design of a Singer 111, except the LU563 has reverse. The machine guys will be more knowledgeable on that than I) when I was married to a contractor. The bags were made mostly from firm 5/6 oz chrome tan leather. I could use up to a 207 thread on that machine, which I believe is heavier than it is rated for. I had a machine guy make a modification so I could use the 207. Two layers of the 5/6 it handled very well, but 3 layers was about the max the machine could handle. Retrospectively, a step up in capacity would have been my choice. To start though, the LU563's and 111's can be gotten fairly reasonable and I think would serve your purpose and fit your budget. Best of luck to you!

Don't overlook the Singer 153w102-3-4 machines. these are basically 111s with a riser that has a cylinder arm. You won't find reverse, but that was overcome for years by little tricks to back tack. These machines are still copied today by many manufacturers (although they do put reverse on them now) and they are still a favorite.

Art

I"m with Constabulary. For what you describe, you're going to want something that sews with like 92 to 20 thread.

OOPS.. that should say 92 to 207 thread

OOPS.. that should say 92 to 207 thread

I saw that and actually thought 20 would be good for sewing mouse skin coats.......