Is there a chart or does someone have standard numbers they use to measure out a belt to get the correct measurement without having to measure an individual

I use a rule of thumb for the waist size plus 10 inches. What ever the size of the jeans use the next for the belt. This will make the correct size for the belt. If the jean size is 38 that would be a size 40 belt.

Good luck. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I use a rule of thumb for the waist size plus 10 inches. What ever the size of the jeans use the next for the belt. This will make the correct size for the belt. If the jean size is 38 that would be a size 40 belt.

Good luck. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I don't think you can come up with a formula, as all manufacturers of pants are not on the same page either. I wear a 34" jean, but I usually wear a 40" Belt (end of buckle to center hole). Measuring is the only way to be sure. I have them measure the belt the currently wear, from the hole they use to the end of the buckle.

The THICKNESS of the belt MATTERS. You can have a customer measure his walmart belt (often about 6-7 oz thickness), which eliminates the issue of the size on the tag on the jeans (I have "34" that I can't wear any more, AND I have "34" that would fall off if not for a belt).

But that lined belt, or double thick belt, will NOT measure the same. Put their measurement on a 12 oz belt (8 oz lined with 4 oz) and you WILL be short. The amount varies with the size of the wearer (longer belts will be off by more).

Now, munky 1 and munky 2 will tell you "add this much". Munky 3 will say "add more holes". And realistically, off by one hole is probably acceptable on a solid color belt, no ornamentation other than stitching. But put a name on there, or design, or conchos, etc. and the more your measurement is off, the more your designs will be off.

JLS, how do you, personally, measure for that thick belt?

Math-a-lize it ;) The theory is, that the OUTside of the jeans and the INSIDE of the belt would be almost the same, yes?

So, say you're making a belt for a guy with a 38" waist (I mean, really IS 38, not just he SAYS 38). I'll use 38 cuz that seems to be most of the belts recently.

The "issue" comes from measuring the OUTside of the belt, with the INside measurement. If I can side-track just a minute.... think of a pipe. You got a 4" pipe That's OUTside. If your wall thickness is 1/8", then the inside measures 3 3/4" across -- difference is 1/4" (so what, right?).

But the measurement AROUND (like a belt) is C=πd. So the outside is 4*π = 12.57 and the inside is 3.75*π = 11.78 for a difference of a little over 3/4". A 3 3/4" is off by 3/4"(ish).

Now, double the thickness of the pipe wall leather. The outside still 4", but the inside is 3.5" across, and measurement AROUND is 11", a difference of 1.57". Clearly, the thickness matters.

Now, WHY we on about 4" pipes? Go back to that 38" guy. The INside measures 38", that's the number he got measuring around over his jeans. Short story, doing the math --if the belt you're making is 1/4" thick, then around the outside gonna be around 39.5". Marking the belt 38, you'd be short about an inch and a half, and his name in the back will be off by half of that (and half teh buckle length too if you aren't watching).

So, 1 1/2" for a 1/4" thick belt. Narrower fellas (and some girls) might go with a thinner belt, and the error is less pronounced -- just so you know it makes a difference.

IN THE END, simple enough to test this. Got a piece of that pipe? Or anything else that won't move on you.. soup can..whatever. Measure around the thing, and cut 2 pieces of leather THAT length. Wrap one around the pipe -- $4 says the INSIDE will touch and the outside WON'T. Now, wrap the second layer around the first.... you'll see what I mean quickly enough ...

Can you hear it already? People goin' round sayin' "Jeff said make it inch ana half longer". But that's not quite what i said ;)

Edited by JLSleather

Belt measurements and leather thickness are all about Pie....Or Pi rather....3.14. Circle math.

Its actually really simple.

You have the circumference of the waist and the thickness of the leather. You need the outside circumference with the thickness accounted for.

Mathematically, If you take the exact circumference of the shape you are wrapping, in this case the outside of the pants, divide by 3.145, divide by 2 and you get the radius. Then add the leather thickness to the radius, and reverse the above steps.

Waist / 3.14 x 2 = radius.

Radius + leather thickness = radius to outside of belt, grain side.

Outside radius x 2 x 3.14 = actual belt length.

eg: If you have a 30 inch waist and use 12 oz (0.188") leather:

30" divide 2=15". 15" divide 3.14= 4.777" radius.

4.777" + 0.188"= 4.965" radius.

4.965" x 3.14 x 2= 31.18" outside circumference.

or simplified

30"/6.28=4.777"

4.777"+ 0.188"= 4.965"

4.965"x6.28= 31.18"

A 12 oz belt on a 30 inch waist needs to be 31.2 inches long.

I use this math to wrap bottles, tubing, etc. If you think about it, if you have a square box to cover and each side is 6 Inches, if you do this math using a 24 inch circumference for the 4 box sides, you can work out exactly how much leather is needed with thickness accounted for to wrap it.

Jim created a good chart. It is very helpful. It is always best to measure the belt personally (if you can).

It is pinned in the patterns forum there is a chart.

belt full of holes labeled with numbers. The person puts on the belt, I look at the number,

Exactly this. I have been known to send customers (and potential customers) a 'strip' the same thickness as the belt they are wanting. Tell 'em wrap it around, mark where it overlaps with a pen (trace right across the leather), measure from the end to the mark, send me the number, throw away the strip.

3/4" wide trim from putting a straight edge on a side, lined with the normal lining leather. Glued but not stitched - though I have been known to put a couple (or 4) 6-8" rows of stitching side by side so they can see thread colors ...

If someone is spending $50-60 for a plain belt, and the belt ends up fitting one hole away from center, might just be okay. Or, at least they know, and they can return it for exchange for one that is one hole over, now that they know.

But if they're spending actual money for a belt you're going to have hours in, nice to get that one right the first time!

Is there a chart or does someone have standard numbers they use to measure out a belt to get the correct measurement without having to measure an individual

Back to the original question, though... the answer is no - there is no method of "get the correct measurement" without measuring. It's been tried for a long time, but not done.

I've seen people who swear that you "add 2 inches" and others who swear "add 4 inches". Add to what? Can't go by the jeans size, those are all over the place. Different jeans manufacturers make 'em different, and new jeans don't measure the same as old ones of the same type (they stretch and wear thinner).

Some are actually proud of coming up with the "idea" of putting more holes in the belt (apparently, a couple more inches hanging out on the end is okay).

Jim's chart (referenced above and pinned in the pattern section) simply doesn't work -- too vague. Not that it won't work EVER... throw enough darts at a dartboard, one will hit occasionally. I'm not willing to take it apart, since that guy seems otherwise very knowledgeable.

If you read the TEXT under that chart, the instruction portion, it's readily apparent that the way he's measuring WILL work. BUT, he admits that the chart is "based on Pants Size Measurement... which can be hit or miss" (quoting Jim). Plus, the chart assumes that a center bar buckle is "this big" and a shield buckle (or trophy buckle) is 'this big" - -though there are thousands of variations and sizes, and a 4" buckle doesn't give the same size belt as a 2" buckle.

post-13153-0-62474600-1444742776_thumb.g

Edited by JLSleather

Jeff, So, I take the pant size, add 2", add 4", then add 1.5"???? :surrender::rofl:

Only in the western hemisphere. Otherwise, reverse that. ;)

I just use the cut to fit method. Make it 6" too long, and then put it on the customer. I then use my english point punch and a maul to cut it to length right on the customers hip. One big whack. It took a few tries to get the depth and technique right, but I'm like a pro now....

Sending you a PM on how to avoid all the inaccurate measurements from customers.

Hi! can you share that information with me as well

"I just use the cut to fit method. Make it 6" too long, and then put it on the customer. I then use my english point punch and a maul to cut it to length right on the customers hip. One big whack. It took a few tries to get the depth and technique right, but I'm like a pro now...."

I feel sorry for the hip on the first few customers before you got that technique right! musta been a bloody mess....

seriously though, most of the time I am making them for someone far away... so no on-sight measurements. And usually there are about another 2 weeks of stitching to be done after the belt has been cut to length...

YinTx

"I just use the cut to fit method. Make it 6" too long, and then put it on the customer. I then use my english point punch and a maul to cut it to length right on the customers hip. One big whack. It took a few tries to get the depth and technique right, but I'm like a pro now...."

I feel sorry for the hip on the first few customers before you got that technique right! musta been a bloody mess....

seriously though, most of the time I am making them for someone far away... so no on-sight measurements. And usually there are about another 2 weeks of stitching to be done after the belt has been cut to length...

YinTx

I use math to find the outside circumference from the users belt measurement and the thickness of the leather.

I have been really good about keeping these types of comments to myself on this forum, however once in a while i let one slip..

Other day i told someone to use super glue to help hold a jewelers loupe in their eye socket...... :dunno:

I just may have a little bit of a sarcastic streak away from this site, both online and in real life..... Here i try to be serious and give proper advice.

I guess I've only been making belts now for about 10 years, . . . so my technique may be juvenile.

I just have them take off the belt they are wearing, . . . and measure from the outside of the buckle end, . . . to the most used hole.

I have never failed to make a belt that fits using that strategy, . . . never, . . . not once.

I did fail when a guy told me he needed a 36 inch belt. I made it. It was 4 inches too short. We measured his old belt, . . . yep, . . . 40. So much for believing the customer.

If someone needs a belt, . . . and I cannot measure it myself, . . . I tell them how to do it, . . . or send them a little drawing that has been on here several times in one form or another, . . . and again, . . . if they measure right, . . . the belt fits right.

Now, . . . I did have one customer that I made a 53 inch belt for once, . . . he couldn't pick it up for almost 60 days, . . . when he came to get it, . . . he needed a 56, . . . but that is another story for another day.

Measure, . . . check your measure, . . . write it down, . . . it'll work.

May God bless,

Dwight

I agree with Dwight.

I should clarify, I also use belt hole to buckle bar measurements when I have them for belts.

If i have to use a measurement of the outside of the jeans without a belt on I use math to get me closer. Close is close enough. That is why the belt has multiple holes......One day the wearer is in thin cotton chinos, and the next he is in canvas carhartts with a pocket knife and a cell phone holder attached. That alone would create a difference of a hole or two. Which pants did he wear the old belt with....Not a bad thing to clarify if you are picky,

I also mathalize things like wine bottle wraps, wrist cuffs, friction fit mason jar sleeves, custom bicycle grips, etc. where there is no existing belt measurement and the tolerances are tighter.

I made a belt that measures from 26 inches out to 60 inches. Numbers are stamped every inch, belt was made from veg tan leather, painted all numbers with different colors every 10 inches, remember to use buckle length when laying out belt. Works every time