glockanator

Horizontal. Small Of Back Holster

A Local LEO has asked if I can do a SOB for a Glock 30. This is not a big deal just want to make sure other then having the grip facing up if there is any other safety concerns to take in to consideration

I assume the LEO is aware hazards of a SOB. Usually one of the concerns of the SOB is that if a person were to fall backwards the gun would end up being between the spine and the ground. For most people it would be unlikely that they would fall or at least a small chance. However being LEO puts him in situations of possibly running in pursuit or tussling with the bad guy, so the opportunity for injury increases. Also it is in the middle of his back that puts the area out of his forward and peripheral vision. Because SOB's do not usually have a thumb break or other retention strap it would be easier for some one to get to the gun and harder for him to retain it. Not much a holster maker can do about those. It will be up to the user to have awareness of those problems.

It would be an off duty holster

A SOB holster is one of the few I refuse to make. But, that's me. everyone is different.

I'm a bit late in this thread, but what did you end up doing? SoB holsters are VERY popular among law enforcement. I was police officer years ago and I carried a Beretta 92fs in a horizontal Galco SoB holster off-duty for several years. The whole thing about breaking your back if you fell is pretty much an urban legend. Been there done that and survived without a broken back after being tackled by a drunk 325 pound redneck. The gravel I went down on hurt MUCH more than the gun in the holster.

If it's concealed properly, there's no more risk of it being taken than a side holster.

I hate the new Galco SoB holsters, so I went back and recreated the original horizontal Galco design except with a bunch of improvements over the original that make it safer and more reliable.

The picture is of my wife with one of my SoB holsters and her M&P Shield.

post-60252-0-92583200-1447114276_thumb.j

Edited by GaryNunn

the question I have about the above is, if being drawn with the right hand is there a problem with sweeping in the wrong direction? someone made one for me prior to my desire to start making them on my own and it was made with the gun right side up. Other than the fact that the person who made it did it as cheaply as possible it was a well thought out design.

I'm a bit late in this thread, but what did you end up doing? SoB holsters are VERY popular among law enforcement. I was police officer years ago and I carried a Beretta 92fs in a horizontal Galco SoB holster off-duty for several years. The whole thing about breaking your back if you fell is pretty much an urban legend. Been there done that and survived without a broken back after being tackled by a drunk 325 pound redneck. The gravel I went down on hurt MUCH more than the gun in the holster.

If it's concealed properly, there's no more risk of it being taken than a side holster.

I hate the new Galco SoB holsters, so I went back and recreated the original horizontal Galco design except with a bunch of improvements over the original that make it safer and more reliable.

The picture is of my wife with one of my SoB holsters and her M&P Shield.

It turned out okay. I made a prototype and gave it to my dad he really liked. I am going to make some modifications to it. I will snap a picture next time I see him

the question I have about the above is, if being drawn with the right hand is there a problem with sweeping in the wrong direction? someone made one for me prior to my desire to start making them on my own and it was made with the gun right side up. Other than the fact that the person who made it did it as cheaply as possible it was a well thought out design.

When drawn with the right hand, it sweeps down toward the floor. The gun being upside down is not only for the correct draw and sweep, but the center of gravity is right on the belt so it doesn't hang or stick out. With a correctly fitting belt, the grip should lean in toward your back and not lean out.