rhinez0r

Splitting Chromexcel

Hey folks, any suggestions on what kind of machine I can use to split 5 & 6oz leather down to 3oz? Would a Cobra Class 14 work?

Hey folks, any suggestions on what kind of machine I can use to split 5 & 6oz leather down to 3oz? Would a Cobra Class 14 work?

I would suggest having a go with a class 14 at a show, or get them to give you the name and number of someone who has one in your area, then call them and try it out. The class 14 really works best on vegetable tanned leathers. I generally buy chrome tan in the thickness I need which usually is in the 4oz range. The 14 works ok for veg tan, a good stiff chrome tan might work ok too.

Art

If you got the money or find a great deal, the bell splitter is best. I personally have a cobra class 14 and it has worked on everything I have put through it (veg,chrome,oil) if it has firmness. The price on the class 14 has already gone up $150 since I got mine in March

If you got the money or find a great deal, the bell splitter is best. I personally have a cobra class 14 and it has worked on everything I have put through it (veg,chrome,oil) if it has firmness. The price on the class 14 has already gone up $150 since I got mine in March

You all are talking about a Band Splitter, not a Bell splitter, right? Bell knives are only really good for skiving and other edge modification. Even a well used band knife splitter will be North of $4k. Don't know why the price on the 14 went up, the Renminbi has been recently devalued, so the dollar buys more in China.

Art

Depends on the bell knife skiver...I've seen at least one that will let you skive larger areas than the 2" max per pass that most offer (so only 4" total)...you still have to do it in multiple passes, but it works even for larger areas.

Edited by 25b