CowboyDan

Linen Thread Help Please!

To start off with, I've only used 3 different threads to do my stitching (all hand, no machine).

- The overly waxed stuff from Tandy (BLEH!)

- Nicely pre-waxed thread (I think it's cotton?) from Springfield (too large for what I'm doing now)

- Pre-waxed linen from Springfield

The problem I'm having is the linen thread seems to snap really easily sometimes.

The first little spool I tried was ordered last year sometime. I found I couldn't put near the tension on it that I could the cotton thread, but that was a good thing as it kept me from slicing between stitching holes with the thread. It would still snap occasionally, but generally I could go several feet of stitching before it happened, and even then it was probably because I was putting a little too much tension on it.

I finally finished off that spool, so I ordered some more. But this stuff seems to be really prone to snapping. It looks the same as the first spool, but I can't seem to get stitches tight before it snaps. It almost always snaps right at the hole I just pulled it through, but it can be either thread (left or right).

I think the longest I've been able to go without a snap is 3-4 inches. And that was in some 3-4 oz vegtan w/ the small Bob Douglas awl. The worst I've had was last night I got 3-4 holes and SNAP! That happened a couple times in a row, and I gave up and got something to eat.

So my question is; What in the world is going on!?!?!?

Am I doing something wrong?
Is linen thread normally this inconsistent in how much tension it will hold?

Is this typical behavior of thread (linen or otherwise) from Springfield? (Disclaimer: I've not had any trouble with anything I've gotten from them before this, including the 2 large spools of pre-waxed cotton thread)

I really liked the first linen spool I had. It was the perfect size for 90% of what I do, held tension well, wasn't overly waxed, and didn't snap unless I got carried away with pulling tight.

I think the only linen threads I've used are Barbour, Fil Au Chinois and Cambell's Satin Laid Linen. I've never been able to snap any of them, even pulling a pretty tight stitch, even with the finest thickness.

Tiger thread is even stronger. I think I'd try a different source, and see if you have better luck!

YinTx

Yeah, the best threads do cost more, but it's worth it in my opinion. I primarily hand stitch too and if I'm going to take the time to do that, I'm going to do it right and with the best materials available.

I have a roll of barbour that i got in an old leatherworkers kit at an antique store. It must be 60 years old, judging by the era of vintage hardware with it. Its dry and crusty looking but still strong as hell. A little fresh wax and it stitches beautiful.

I have noticed that when I pull a knot tight with linen thread it will break. Tiger Thread would cut my hand before it breaks.

+1 to Barbour and Tiger thread. I use Barbour in my needle and awl machine. Strong and stitches great. Tiger thread looks great and is extremely strong.

It sounds like I just got a crappy batch of thread.

Is there a place that will sell/give samples of the threads, or at least sell in small amounts? I don't really want to buy a whole spool just to find out it doesn't work like I expected. 1-2 yards per sample would be plenty.

I think your problem is just low quality thread honestly, or you're the hulk, because I've never snapped a thread when stitching lol. But I've only ever used Ritza 25 and fil au chinois which are arguably the best money can buy. If you're using thread that breaks that easily than it doesn't speak well for the quality of the thing you're making right?

I use unwaxed Coats linen thread in 3/18 which I then wax myself for my hand stitching and usually during normal stitching it doesn't break. I do however snap it almost instantly if I have to double wrap the thread over the needle to create a tighter hold for example rolled work. I have come to the conclusion that if the thread is wrapped around itself more than once it will snap. Also because it is unwaxed to start with if I haven't waxed it enough it will snap once the twist has started unravelling at the ends, bit more wax at the key moment stops this. Personally not keen on Tiger thread for hand stitching unless for lacing in a saddle but it is certainly strong!

Thanks to all.

I ordered some sample cards from YinTx. Man, that thread looks sooooo much better quality than what I got from springfield. If nothing else, it's much more consistent diameter.