Hello, first of all a presentation, my name is Pablo Perez I try to make all kind of leather stuff as hobby and for that I bought a time ago a pair of old singer sewing machines. One is a 29K1 and another is a 48w6, with this one I have few problems which I wish that someone can help me to solve.

The information that I have about this machine is the next:

Model: Singer 48W6
Serial nº: I can´t find it
Description: One-needle, vertical hook, horizontal cylinder machines and have the balance wheel at the LEFT of the operator. Max. 1800 stitches per minute, (leather), 2000 stitches per minute (fabrics). For sewing fabrics and leather. (according ismacs page)

The first thing is the difficulty to find any reference to this model, I only can get a list of spare parts and few suppliers addresses from Singer customer service. Someone have or know this model? Can someone provide me any kind of information about it?

The other is the small stitch lenght which I can get, about 17 stitches per inch in the 5 position (in position 1 the leather don´t move at all), it could be because the machine is too worn. In this case what pieces I must try to change or repair.

Thank to your possible help

post-62846-0-08163700-1444864084_thumb.jpost-62846-0-30471500-1444864085_thumb.jpost-62846-0-26202400-1444864086_thumb.jpost-62846-0-94882900-1444864086_thumb.jpost-62846-0-72585400-1444864087_thumb.jpost-62846-0-71019700-1444864088_thumb.j

I don´t think a machine is in this condition is much worn. I have seen worst. Do you know how to adjust the stitch lenght?

I adjust the stitch length using the lever that you can see in the first photo (on the left machine side). That lever blocks the movement, and then I must turn the wheel to move the number of stitch length from -5 to 5. Do you mean this?

You're right, I couldn't find anything more than you've mentioned (other than the W indicates it was made in Bridgeport, USA). It's a cute little machine, and the outside is certainly in pretty good condition. If there is a good coating of oil on the internal parts then at least it's been kept lubricated, so may not have much wear on the parts. It looks like the bobbin case is missing (or did you remove it?).

I adjust the stitch length using the lever that you can see in the first photo (on the left machine side). That lever blocks the movement, and then I must turn the wheel to move the number of stitch length from -5 to 5. Do you mean this?

Rigth - I just thought you probably don´t know... Sorry but I can`t help. Good luck with this machine - it´s a nice one!

There is this: http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/the-elusive-left-handed-sewing-machine.html

The 18-2 line of singers are cylinder arm left and right machines used for vamping shoes. i wonder if yours was a later model?

I don´t think a machine is in this condition is much worn. I have seen worst. Do you know how to adjust the stitch lenght?

I think not explain right. I wanted to say is if you may any part of this mechanism and so worn that stitch length (I think I read something in some forum thread) the machine is in good condition externally.

You're right, I couldn't find anything more than you've mentioned (other than the W indicates it was made in Bridgeport, USA). It's a cute little machine, and the outside is certainly in pretty good condition. If there is a good coating of oil on the internal parts then at least it's been kept lubricated, so may not have much wear on the parts. It looks like the bobbin case is missing (or did you remove it?).

You've also been looking for information? You have a similar?
Bobbin was removed at the time of the photo, I have all the pieces but the bobbin cover does not fit properly. I'm still looking for one that fit better (I think I've found in Henderson Sewing)

There is this: http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/the-elusive-left-handed-sewing-machine.html

The 18-2 line of singers are cylinder arm left and right machines used for vamping shoes. i wonder if yours was a later model?

Maybe but I´m not sure. It´s very difficult find any kind of information about this machine.

Here are a couple of manuals from the Dixie Sewing website. Perhaps you'll find something useful. The first manual covers similar machines like the 46W and 47W. The second manual covers the parts list with pictures for the 48W6. Dixie Sewing is a good source for some manuals. Good luck.

http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERSERVICE/46W,%20&47W-Inst.pdf

http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERPARTS3/48W%20&49.pdf

Edited by Evo160K

Castineira, no, I don't have a 48 series machine. I have a 51W59, and that also proved difficult to find information about. The 47W manual Evo has listed above appears very similar to yours, and I'm wondering if the 48W6 is basically the left-hand version of the 47W?

I think dikman is right, the best info you have is from evo and it looks like the same type of machine but right handed. compare 47w and 48w part numbers, good luck with the stitch lenght, jimi.

Thank you all for your responses.
In my research I have sent emails to everyone I've found that I could know something about this machine. Almost everyone I have replied that no information about this model. Answering Singer (very fast) was as follows:

"Looks like this machine was manufactured by a company called White. Ismacs probably already told you that. I do not have any additional information on this machine."

I try to look at the links that you have given me to see if I can get more info.
Thanks.

did you see my PM castineira?

I believe that your machine is the single needle version of the early class 45 Singer. From ismacs.net we have http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/model-list/images0-99/45w2.jpg.