Rito

Beginner With 29K-4. Need Advice On Upgrading/adding Newer Walking Foot/reverse Machine

hello, beginner here with singer 29k-4 cylinder bed (1904 dated) i am self taught (outside of any info i found online and on this website). i am currently in the process of reconstructing a shoe upper (deconstruction of shoe and complete reconstruction with superior skins). my singer works well 85% of the time. sometimes the mechanism that transfers force from the hand operated wheel to the rest of the machine locks up and ends up throwing the shuttle arm and gears off. also the foot on the machine tears up suede and thin leather . i also have trouble sititching the uppers perfectly straight (maybe because the cylinder bed does not offer much working surface?) i feel like although this machine is great and gave me a much better understanding of how they operate i am considering adding a juki/pfaff/consew or any newer flat bed machine, mostly because i feel it is a more reliable product? and it would be easier to stitch perfect lines/curves with a flat bed machine. my question is: should i invest an a newer machine? (i plan on doing this for a while) or should i add a flat table to my singer and stick it out with a machine that works 85% of the time. i am gratefull for any info. thanks

Edited by Rito

The 29k is a great patcher but may not be the best choice for what you're doing. Most everyone I've seen making or reconstructing shoes use a wheel feed. The wheel feed will offer constant pressure which might help with the straight stitching. Depending on what type of shoes you'll be remaking, a post bed may be more useful too.

thanks for the response. its funny this whole time ive been debating flat or cylinder bed compound foot, but i never inquired as to the advantages to a post bed and roller foot. do you recommend any particular machine? im wondering if the wheel will mark veg tan. ive seen some youtube videos of what seems like production lines using this method on shoe-uppers and i definitely think its what i should be going for.

Edited by Rito

Post bed is the best machine for recon. Period. If you have the money get it... Also, im planning on getting a 29-4 to start out simply because its cheaper then the post. But if it wasnt, it would be no question. the stitching is far superior and the proper wheel wont mark leather... Singer patchers are so old its RARE to find 1 in pristine working condition... Personally i dont have 600$ to pay for a subpar works 85% of the time machine.. So once this guy is finally done with maintenance on it if it doesnt work properly i will just save that money and put it toward a post. Good luck.

One of the big recon guys suggested I get myself the patcher, as a beginner it certainly helped me understand these machines better (even made a few repairs on it) but It wasn't the machine for the job. If I had realized this sooner I would not have have purchased the 29k. I ordered a post bed today. I would just ask to use the patcher as much as the owner would allow and save my money for the proper machine.

I'm pretty sure I know the big recon guy your referring too cuz I know him personally lol. Singer is a great machine, if u can find 1 in pristine condition. If you look through any shoemakers (not recon artist) IG page you will see a post led roller foot. Guarantee it. The patcher machine is just that, a patcher - to patch/repair. And in the time I posted that comment earlier and now I have changed my mind (for the 3rd time lol) and I'm gonna get and industrial flat bed instead. I'll use the revenue from that to the post bed later

I'm gonna build a box for my post bed. So a can sew flat too. It should help save me some bread for the time being. When/if I decide to expand my shop I will add a flat compound machine next. Good luck man.