Tallbald

Leather Belt Vise I Made For Edging And Hand Sanding

Hi everyone. I have arthritis in my spine, hands etc. and holding down my belts with one hand while edging and sanding the belts hurts. And I can't do it but a few moments at a time. I designed and made an inexpensive vise to hold my belts for these operations while I create my belts and strap goods. Here are a few snapshots of the clamping detail, and a link to my Youtube channel video. I hope this helps give others with some issues a little food for thought. Thanks for looking. Don Sterchi.

PA152079.jpg

PA152078.jpg

PA152077.jpg

Edited by Tallbald

Looks like it would work pretty well for stitching those belt layers together too. Nice job.

Stu

Thank you so much. I hadn't thought about the hand stitching possibilities. I had to give up hand stitching due to the arthritis, and splurged on a beautiful Cowboy 3500 from Bob at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machine. I just hope that what I did for my self helps other arthritis or disability sufferers. Don.

Not much interest in my post, but I'll say this. I got to use my vise tonight on a real project for the first time and it has reduced the discomfort a LOT for me. It also sped the edge sanding process up to less than 5 or so minutes an edge on a 48 inch belt I'm making. I'm SO very happy I took the time to figure out and make this vise. Unbelievable improvement for me over what I had been having to fight to hand sand. Just wow. Don.

I wouldn't say there's not much interest, Don, you've had 134 views. I always like seeing other members' DIY projects, and this is one that I shall file away.

Dikman I appreciate your kindness. I only hope that the vise and also the modified arbor press I made and shared here some time ago help folks with disabilities like mine to keep doing what they love or need to do. Don

Replies to threads can be a little slow coming sometimes. Glad to hear it worked well for you. Seems like it would be a real time saver for anyone working on belts, you might consider drawing up plans and uploading them here.

Stu

I like the idea, looks well made and useful. If you don't mind I am going to copy your idea. I have a little trouble holding a belt when sanding and burnishing.

Ruger, you've got me thinking now. I sand mine on a belt sander and occasionally have issues if the belt isn't real thick (it tends to wobble about a bit!). Because Don referred to it for hand sanding my brain didn't equate it's use with a belt sander too! A lightweight version for holding while using a belt sander....hmmmm.

Haven't visited in a day or so. I've been busy working on ordered belts. If it's useful, I'll say I used 32 inch lengths of steel bed frame rail because I had it on hand. The base is just 3/4 inch cabinet grade plywood Penny and I pulled from a dumpster where an office was being remodeled. Come to think of it, the rails were pulled out of other folks trash at the curb too, long ago.

5/16-18 carriage bolts 5 inches long were used for the clamping screws, and threaded T-nuts, available at home and hardware stores, were tapped into the end of a through-drilled clearance hole in the hardwood blocks.

I drilled round scrap wood through for the 5/16 inch diameter threaded portion of the carriage bolts, and then drilled a deep clearance hole big enough for the bolt head, leaving 1/2 inch of material at the bottom of the hole for the bolt head. I epoxied the heads down in the "handles".

I did have to make some thin spacers to lift a narrow belt up above the rail "jaws", but 1 3/4 inch wide belts need no lift. Scrap leather was glued with weldwood to the inner faces of the rail "jaws".

Straight hard wood could be used in place of steel rails and the whole affair would be lighter weight.

I have found that little clamping pressure is needed to restrain a belt I'm working on by hand,. probably due to the large jaw contact area and the friction of leather padding to leather belt.

And again, I hope the idea is helpful to others. I've had to work making adaptive fixtures and tools for myself because of my physical issues.

Thanks . Don.

Edited by Tallbald

I like it. If I made lotsa belts, I'd havta make myself something like it.

Very nice and I am sure it helps you a lot. I made a combo one for purse handles and belts. The first one is for sewing and edging. The second one came after I learned a bit about the first one that I did not like. Enjoy!

post-6330-0-82654200-1445565715_thumb.jp

post-6330-0-71402900-1445565748_thumb.jp

post-6330-0-58682900-1445565849_thumb.jp

Hey Don

Like your idea as I not only have hands crippled with arthritis, but I have no feeling in my fingers following a brain aneurysm bleed. My best friend is small needle nosed pliers which I always carry in my pocket.

Small modifications that I made are in using T-nuts both front and back of the clamping blocks, and 5/16" threaded rod rather than bolts. I screwed and glued old wooden drawer knobs on one end and small rubber "feet" on the clamp end. Scrap rubber rather than leather used as lining the vice "jaws" as I felt it would be easier to wipe clean. Everything came from my box of stuff that "might come in handy one day". Thank you for allowing us to copy your very useful design!

Cheers,

Lois

post-13610-0-62673400-1447591201_thumb.j

I have a print out of your design on my workbench. When I have a little time to spend on leather related projects this will probably be my next DIY. But right now I am helping the community theater build the stage set for their next play and I still have to get that 5 gallons of Fireside Ale bottled before I can stir up anymore sawdust in my shop. With Christmas coming I may need to brew one more batch of beer as gifts for my brother in laws too. LOL

That is a great idea for holding the belt in place. Have you tried it for burnishing?

By the way, what are the tensioning devices called?

Thanks for sharing

Thank you everyone! Use what I came up with any way you can to improve your life working at the craft we love. Geoff the tightening mechanisms are simply T-nuts from most any hardware store or home improvement center. I used long bolts, but as a member here pointed out you can use threaded rod cut to length too.

This vise has sure made my belt crafting less painful, and much faster for me. I burnish on a drill press with a rotary burnisher head I made, so I'm unsure how the vise would work.

Best to everyone. Don.

Don,

Very well done. You do very neat work. I like the idea of making jigs and fixtures for our craft

Woodworkers do it all the time.

These devices not only make it easier to get the job done but also give repeatable good results.

Right now I am working on a sitiching horse/vise specifically for making cases. I want to be able to clamp

the entire side of the case to the gusset before I start stitching.

Jim

Thank you all everyone for the kind words sent my way. I use my vise every time I craft a belt, and continue to hope it helps others in pursuing our leather passion. Don

Wow I like This alot. I'm new to the hobby( 2 Weeks ),and watching and learning everything i can, I don't have a handicap but i'm seriously impressed enough to make one anyway. As I'm rather Heavy handed / Clumsy. Thanks for the inspiration. :spoton:

Thanks to each of you for the kind words folks.I do hope it helps some, as it has me. Don.

Edited by Tallbald

Not much interest in my post, but I'll say this. I got to use my vise tonight on a real project for the first time and it has reduced the discomfort a LOT for me. It also sped the edge sanding process up to less than 5 or so minutes an edge on a 48 inch belt I'm making. I'm SO very happy I took the time to figure out and make this vise. Unbelievable improvement for me over what I had been having to fight to hand sand. Just wow. Don.

Nice jig Don, lots of potential uses and possible ways to locate it, ie bench top or on a stitching horse,,,

Funny how as we age we need to figure out ways to do stuff we maybe took for granted earlier in life

Very nice and I am sure it helps you a lot. I made a combo one for purse handles and belts. The first one is for sewing and edging. The second one came after I learned a bit about the first one that I did not like. Enjoy!

Hey KingsX, had an idea for your jaws to hold the handles,

Set up a router table with a round end bit in it and run some stock through it, will create a round recess that the round handle part can sit in, can then shoot it through the table saw to cut the bevel on the top of the jaw to whatever you like, just an idea that popped in my head when i was looking at your second picture

Thank you everyone! Use what I came up with any way you can to improve your life working at the craft we love. Geoff the tightening mechanisms are simply T-nuts from most any hardware store or home improvement center. I used long bolts, but as a member here pointed out you can use threaded rod cut to length too.

This vise has sure made my belt crafting less painful, and much faster for me. I burnish on a drill press with a rotary burnisher head I made, so I'm unsure how the vise would work.

Best to everyone. Don.

Ive been using one of these for burnishing

http://www.katools.com/shop/guinevere-total-system-sanding-p-222.html

They have cheaper versions, but can chuck up a small pro edge burnisher in either the flex shaft or the machine itself, maybe a jig to hold it so your clamp can run under the burnisher?

Thank yo Don,l have the same problem with my hands.

On 10/19/2015 at 7:06 AM, Tallbald said:

Dikman I appreciate your kindness. I only hope that the vise and also the modified arbor press I made and shared here some time ago help folks with disabilities like mine to keep doing what they love or need to do. Don

Thank you for sharing this. I have Parkinson's and had a stroke 2 months ago. Tips like this have helped reduce the challenges I face while still actively producing items made with leather. I appreciate your ingenuity.