maritimemoose

Fading Color Spirit Dyes

For the most part over the years I have stuck with traditional fiebings spirit dyes such as browns, tans, blacks, etc, and I do love them. I've always been wary of doing whole pieces or even accenting with color dyes such as greens, blues, purples, etc.

In the past year I've done a few whole pieces as well as accenting with green, blue and other fiebings dyes of the brighter color spectrum (I've had no trouble with the reds) and have noticed a year down the road they fade and often change color terribly and that's with minimal direct sunlight.

I was wondering if any of you experienced leather workers had any advice on using colored dyes as I am getting more requests for such brighter colored work, but I do not want to do so worrying about severe fading/discoloration down the road.

I have only used fiebings, but I am certainly open to other brands. Don't get me wrong, I do love fiebings traditional color spirit dyes and they have worked well for me over the years, it is just the brighter spectrum I have trouble with, save for the reds. I have no interest in eco flo dyes or any water based dyes.

Thank you kindly in advance,

-Cheyenne W

Hello , i don't have very big experience because i'm in my beginning. So i can't answer you.
I am confused with all these different dyes products.
When you tell fiebings traditional color spirit dyes do you mean oil fiebing dyes? like this:?

763_gr.jpg

For finish which product do you use? ( it is for watch strap so i don't want to let stains or discolor on my wrist. I don't want the finish product to change the color or the texture of the leather)
Thanks

Hello , i don't have very big experience because i'm in my beginning. So i can't answer you.
I am confused with all these different dyes products.
When you tell fiebings traditional color spirit dyes do you mean oil fiebing dyes? like this:?

763_gr.jpg

For finish which product do you use? ( it is for watch strap so i don't want to let stains or discolor on my wrist. I don't want the finish product to change the color or the texture of the leather)

Thanks

I use fiebings spirit dye, although I have tried the oil, I prefer the spirit based dye personally. Maybe because I am used to how it reacts with different products, such as my go to finish which is a 50/50 fiebings acrylic resolene and water mix. Often 2 coats, if my mix is weak, any more and you will get that plastic look.

I use fiebings spirit dye, although I have tried the oil, I prefer the spirit based dye personally. Maybe because I am used to how it reacts with different products, such as my go to finish which is a 50/50 fiebings acrylic resolene and water mix. Often 2 coats, if my mix is weak, any more and you will get that plastic look.

Thank you so Much. 2 coats 50/50. Thanksssssssss