Chief31794

Banjo Strap And Mandolin Strap Out This Week

Banjo strap 2" wide attachment type strap with arrowhead basket weave design and a mandolin strap 2" wide with a floral carving and name. Banjo strap made from 7/8 oz Hermann Oak © and the Mandolin Strap is made from 4/5 oz Herman Oak with a 2/3 oz front loop, the front loop fits under the scroll on an F-Style Mandolin so it has to be thinner. Mandolins are light weight and mando players don't like heavy straps.

Don't see many Banjo or Mandolin straps posted so thought some folks might like to see what they look like. Banjo straps come in two types, Attachment for attaching the strap to two of the J-hooks either directly or using swivel hooks and Cradle Type which circles all the way around the drum of the banjo (cradling the instrument) passing under the J-hooks. Not all banjos can mount a cradle strap, normally high end banjos can they weight 13-14 lbs because of the bell tone rings inside the drum but all banjos can mount the attachment type.

Mandolin straps come in two types as well F-style and A-style, the F-style are the ones with a scroll at the top front of the instrument and the A-style are the "pear shaped" mandolins you see. The pear shaped mandolins mount the strap with a leather piece (boot lace) tied around the headstock just above the nut, the F-style mounts by inverting the loop and sliding the loop under the scroll so that it comes straight after passing under the scroll. One other thing the pins on the back of both types of mandolins is smaller than a guitar pin and we make them using a 3/16" punch as opposed to the 1/4" punch we use for Guitar Straps.

Oh well, enough information on musical instruments.

Chief

post-6362-0-54839100-1445593293_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-04898800-1445593347_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-98196300-1445593348_thumb.jp

Edited by Chief31794

Very nice straps Chief. And very informative post about the instruments and straps. Glad to know this.

Beautiful Straps. Cheryl

That is very nice work. Very interesting post too.

Nice straps, and thanks for the information too!

Very nice straps Chief. And very informative post about the instruments and straps. Glad to know this.

Thanks Rohn,

Beautiful Straps. Cheryl

Thank you Cheryl

That is very nice work. Very interesting post too.

Thanks

Nice work Chief...anyway you would share a pattern with me so I can make one for my RK Banjo?

pm sent

Nice straps, and thanks for the information too!

Thanks Bob.

Chief

Great job! I've been looking at making a strap for my banjo, but was always confused how I was going to do the attachment, thanks for sharing!