TranscendentalTopiary

Hi From Connecticut

Hello,

Im new to leather so found great help on this site. Always have been interested in leather craft but between the cost and having no local retailers in ct i never got into it until about a month ago when a tandy opened up in the same plaza i work in... dangerous, i know!

Haven't had a need to post relpies or start topics until now as i can't find answeres to my question anywhere, hopefully you guys can help and if anything else comes up i know where to come for answers

Welcome TT! Sounds like fun having leather close at hand. I have to drive a few hours to get leather so I just have it delivered. I lurked and gleaned the forums for a while before joining. There is a wealth of knowledge here. (But don't look at me!)

I'm in Groton so I feel your pain....nothing leather here

I'm like you, I like to see and feel.

Yeah I'll take every strip off the hook to find the nicest one. Some have scratches or wrinkled areas, thin spots, dirt marks. For $50 a pop i want to be able to use every inch. Pretty soon I'll be stuck with the strips i didnt pick unless someone else is dwindling the supply of the same size and length belt leather but i kinda doubt it, its the thickest one they have and i know it wont fit thru my belt loops so i doubt many ppl are making belts from it. Not sure what else it'd be used for, im using it to make storage boxes for decks of cards

I wonder just how many leathercrafters are here in Connecticut? I think you're the only one I've seen on this site. I'm really new to this but did some leatherworking back in the day while in the service....they always had craft shops on base. I'm going to need a hobby for when retirement strolls around in a few years : )

Theres been at least one other person in the store, I'd say about every other time I'm in there. One guy was making an awesome cthulhu mask out of vegtan. Hopefully they are making enough money to cover rent, i just might cry if they close.

Looks like you're going to have to go in more often and spend a lot more money $$$$ : )