joecool911

Cowboy 3200?

I have narrowed my sewing machine selection down to a Cowboy 3200. Can you guys tell me what a reasonable range of leather it will sew. Sounds like belts and holsters are a snap. What about the lower end of reasonable use? Like sewing 4oz Chrome wallets and the like?

I have had mine for a year and like it. 1/2 inch and under are no problem. It will sew very thin (4-5oz) but it will take a lot of setup change to do that. I have use #16 needles and 69 thread but had to install lighter springs on the tension, back off the foot pressure, and the bobbin tension. Lot of trouble if you want to change it often.

Edited by pcox

I've had some comments as to stitching problems with the 3200. Is the 3500 a better machine and more reliable? Wondering if I should step up a bit and get the 3500 and avoid potential frustration. But don't want to spend the additional money if not necessary.

You may find that the heavier the machine the less likely it is to sew thin leather if you may wish to do that also.

ferg

Can't help you with the 3200 but I did just "bite the bullet" and ordered a CB 4500 a few days ago. Lots of research and debate between the Cobra and the Cowboy before I made my decision. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with either of those machines. Sure am anxious to get mine and get started.