Uwe

Contemplating A Puritan Stitcher: Vamping, Staying, Fairstitch ?

Not yet, but when I do get her to cooperate I will be sure to let everybody know about it :)

I have "thousands" of hooks and awls kicking around....   Okay, maybe not quite that many.....but prob couple hundred or so...  But will pull them out and see if they will work on your machine/ 

I also have the manual for the machines that tell you how/what you need as well as parts lists for machine...  Not sure how to send you a copy... :)  Most of machines are from 1870-1925 which suits me Just well.....  computers, i do what i need on themmmmmmmmm

leathersmyth..whatever manuals and parts lists that you have ..ask a moderator ( moderators have green links..just click on their names and send them a message ) about how to upload them to here..

Edited by mikesc

The one thing that you will have to do to stitch with these machines, You need to have the thread  "loop" around the thread looper for it to catch the hook of the machine....if that makes sense...

puritan 2.JPG

Edited by leathersmyth

And then i have a bunch of loose ones, but have to fiqure out which are which because i also have a ton of landis 3 hooks and awls in tins....

Have to get a new battery on my micrometer to see diameter of shanks...

puritan3.JPG

43 minutes ago, leathersmyth said:

I also have the manual for the machines that tell you how/what you need as well as parts lists for machine...  Not sure how to send you a copy...

It would be very cool to produce good quality PDF of your Puritan manual. I'd be happy to help you do that. If you don't have a scanner, a series of full resolution photos would be a good starting point. I have software to build a good quality PDF files that is not huge. You can message me here on LW, or email me at uwe@uwe.net  - you can email me image files that are too big to post here. I'll upload the finished PDF here. 

This hook lines up pretty much your sizes... :) 

puritan4.JPG

I have a printer/scanner combo....  Never used... So will have to play with it to scan.. Its 91 pages of...

So, by your measurements you have the small shank hook and awl...  I have some in the small shanks that i can mail you out for you to at least play with your machine...

Also curious as to how this is going, as I did some work on a 3-needle vamper a few years back.  "Vamping" refers to stitching the vamp (front/toe pattern piece) to the quarters (exactly as demonstrated in the overly dramatic RW video).  I don't know about stitching through 3/4" of material, but they do have a very distinct, punchy, knocking character to their sound/operation, in my experience....

EDIT:  Missed the last few posts before posting...  I probably have a manual around if nobody else comes through...

Edited by Ogoki

@leathersmyth I did end up buying a set of ten #2 needles and ten #3 awls directly from Puritan last year (for an eye watering $173.30!) so I'm good for basic testing. 

My Puritan indeed uses small shank (0.086") needles and awls.

91 pages Puritan manual goodness is definitely worth the effort to produce a state of the art PDF version.

Mike @leathersmyth was kind enough to scan his Puritan documentation. Thank you Mike! I cleaned up and shrunk Mike's Puritan PDF: Puritan-Catalog-Manual-Parts-newer.pdf

I also discovered an older version of the Puritan catalog/manual/parts list in my archives. The two catalogs have a decade or two between them and show some common information, but they differ in which machines were in production at the time and some other details, like pricing info for parts. I miss the days when a dozen Puritan needles cost $0.75 !  ($0.75 in 1917 is over $15 in 2017)

Here's my older Puritan catalog: Puritan-Catalog-Manual-Parts-older.pdf

Yours is def interesting to read...  

My machines came from the Mcbrine luggage factory a long time ago..

They made leather gladstone bags, rawhide wrapped cases. 

At one point i know they were making guitar cases for gibson ( i think was that brand) so they will sew through plywood and pretty much anything else needed to sew.

Cases like...

Everyone called him Mister J ( the owner of mcbrine) When i meet him he was well into his 90's, was a very kind soul. Honour and integrity was very high in his world... 

Now a days, everything is made off shore, but when these machines were used to make up cases,they were made to last...

I use mine when i can not get other machines to sew what i want to sew... I can drop a hat box on it and sew the binding on without even thinking. They are great machines...

mcbrine1.JPG

mcbrine2.jpg

mcbrine.jpg

Hello Owe, I enjoyed very much your story about the Puritan. I am getting one and I was wondering what happened with your?

Do you have any update? 

Thanks friend.

On 11/27/2017 at 12:37 AM, Uwe said:

so I'm good for basic testing

Hi Uwe, was wondering....in the end was your machine a 1,2 or 3 needle?? and did you manage to get it going??

Mine is a three needle machine and I gave up on getting it going. It sits patiently in a 40’ storage container full of vintage sewing machines and parts. The key to that storage container is for sale.

12 hours ago, Uwe said:

Mine is a three needle machine and I gave up on getting it going. It sits patiently in a 40’ storage container full of vintage sewing machines and parts. The key to that storage container is for sale.

OOOh! sorry to hear that Uwe, I am sure someone will need parts for one sooner or later or vise a versa, you might still find the parts you need for yours?? Are the Puritan parts interchangeable with the Protos stitchers?? 

Sorry to hear that your efforts ended up with you offering to sell not just the machine but also the key to what I take must be a storehouse that offers a lifetime of excitement and joy.

I have one of the same model three-thread Puritans in my basement. I bought it many years ago from the person who once owned a shoe/boot factory in Montreal Canada and who kept it as one of the machines that he did not sell when the factory closed.

He had another Puritan that was custom made for his factory and that he did not want to sell. It did not look like any of the normal Puritans in that it had a cylinder arm. Sadly, when I spoke with him some years later, he had disposed of it and a lot of other machinery and parts either as scrap metal or as rubbish sent to rust away in a dump.

At the time of that later visit he still had a few machines - including a bell skiver that he would sell. The Bell skiver was bought and it has been put to productive use in my son's shop ever since.

I took the Puritan that I have apart, cleaned and oiled it, freshened up the outside paint, polished that wonderful Puritan badge and then other priorities took control of my life.

All of the working parts were in good shape but two things were missing - one screw for attaching the wax pot (an odd thread pitch as I recall) - and one of the parts at the bottom of the wax pot where I believe the threads come out. The machine came with needles and awls installed and while they might work for a test, they should be replaced.

At the time when I put the machine away I had not gone the next step of ensuring that everything is properly timed, and I had not tried to get it to sew.

So the machine head now sits on a shelf where I store some older machines - waiting for a time when I (or someone else) will hopefully do the rest of the job that must be done to get the machine doing what it was designed to do.

At the present time I am not ready to sell the machine - let alone the key to my basement.

Edited by Charles1

On 11/26/2017 at 3:23 PM, leathersmyth said:

I have "thousands" of hooks and awls kicking around....   Okay, maybe not quite that many.....but prob couple hundred or so...  But will pull them out and see if they will work on your machine/ 

I also have the manual for the machines that tell you how/what you need as well as parts lists for machine...  Not sure how to send you a copy... :)  Most of machines are from 1870-1925 which suits me Just well.....  computers, i do what i need on themmmmmmmmm

Can you send me an email with the manual by chance I just got one and I don't know much about it it would help me tremendously.

On 11/26/2017 at 3:23 PM, leathersmyth said:

On 9/11/2022 at 5:30 AM, bnpisut said:

Can you send me an email with the manual by chance I just got one and I don't know much about it it would help me tremendously.

Go up 7 posts to Nov 27,2017 there's a manual you can download.

Hi Everyone,

I recently acquired a Puritan Machine : sky blue color, three needle, cylinder arm with a wax pot. It looked like it has been in storage for a looooooooong time. There is no indication of the model or serial number.

It is missing some parts which I will love to get:

• 2 thread lead-out nuts on the bottom of the wax pot
  • Presser foot Linkage arm
  • 2 pairs of awl-holding brackets
  • 4 setscrews that hold the awls, awl-holding brackets and needles
  • Manual

I shall be glad if anyone has these to sell. I clicked on the Puritan website and the manual link here but had no luck. I wish I could send the pictures of the machine here but I do not know how.  I make belts and shoes and I want to add boots to the list. Thank you.