Hey, it turned out great! Nice work!

thank you, Monica. I'll have the shoulder strap done this week. completing the bag

Beautiful work

thank you

I like this works ! As Aaron states your attention to detail is great ! And that's why I'm really digging it alot ! --- Wild Bill46

Much appreciated !

I loved the piping, what is that technique? Did you use that to make the edges, where they meet, disappear?

The whole bag turned out wonderful.

Thanks Skyler

Not special technique, to be honest. Just a little OCD. The ends are simply butted together and sewn up.

As i mentioned i'll have it fully complete with shoulder strap this week.

Ok, finally complete!

Shoulder strap, "bolo", and finished top edge.

EBB89243-03E3-434A-BBFD-8A6B2F83A752_zps

36608B41-77C1-4009-BFE9-28098EB09957_zps

08B888AD-DD48-4826-9199-7AA86CE83785_zps

Thanks for looking

Chris

It looks great. Professional.

It looks great. Professional.

Thank you very much Monica. Means a lot :cheers:

Wish I could have looked over your shoulder while you were making this bag.

It really turned out wonderful.

You mention that you turned the bag right side out. When would the leather be too thick for this method?

Thanks for the step by step photos.

Nice. Did you redo the pull string?

David,

Good eye. I did re do the draw string. Initially it was a cotton cord wrapped in leather (How some handles are made) but i found it caused too much interference/friction when trying to open the bag. The revised string is just leather folded over onto itself and sewn up.

Wish I could have looked over your shoulder while you were making this bag.

It really turned out wonderful.

You mention that you turned the bag right side out. When would the leather be too thick for this method?

Thanks for the step by step photos.

James,

Thank you for the compliment, it's much appreciated.

I find when i'm building bags that have piping (bags built inside out- turned) the "temper" or softness of the leather is the deciding factor as to whether or not it is suitable for a "turned" bag. For example some tumbled or shrunken leather in 6oz-7oz is much easier to work with than say 3oz natural veg tan; when building a bag inside out.

I hope that answers your question,

Chris

Chris,

Yes that does answer my question. I recently handled some bison hide at about 7 ozs. It had a very soft temper.

I don't know if you could turn something that thick inside out but I see what you mean.

Thanks

Man this is exactly what my wife wants. I really need to try and make this but its intimidating. Ha. Nice job!

Man this is exactly what my wife wants. I really need to try and make this but its intimidating. Ha. Nice job!

Thanks!

I agree It can definitely be a daunting task.

To be honest, 50% of my time is spent planning before i even take a blade to the leather.

I never do anything "on the fly". I try to figure out every possible problem i might run into before i get there and I plan a solution or technique to avoid it.

Thanks 9tpi, I have been working on a small tote bag that with an oval bottom, so it will stand up on its own. I was having lots of problems working out how to form the bottom, Your bag really helped. Thanks for posting it

Also where did you get the fittings for the end of the string?

Mick