Macrdhu

Pattern For A Quick Change Purse That Can Hold An Atm Card

Hi Everyone,

I'm in need of some feedback.

Last year I developed a purse inspired by the traditional quick change purse design. It is big enough and shaped to hold bank cards as well as notes and coins. It was the feature item of a successful kickstarter project I successfully ran last year.

This year has had me unable to do leatherwork but I will be getting back to it in about 10 days when I plan on offering the purses again in the lead up to Christmas. What I am wondering is if I should also offer a pattern and instructions pack pdf download.

This is where I'm needing feedback.

Do you think there would be a market for such a thing?

If so, what do you think I should I charge for such a pack?

and/or

Would any of you be interested in such a thing?

If so at what price?

Many thanks in advance.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Cheers

Gillian

post-12705-0-19430100-1446229742_thumb.j

post-12705-0-62627100-1446229762_thumb.j

post-12705-0-64290200-1446229783_thumb.j

Hi Gillian, nice wallet!

Well, i think you should sell the pattern too. Many leatherworkers don't have the patience (or skill) to make patterns or even modify one (like you did :thumbsup: ), so they prefer to buy them.

About the price, probably not to high, because it will discourage people to buy, but I'm not sure what price!!! :)

Thanks SamB,

It occurs to me i also need to keep in mind the exchange rate too.

Hi Gillian, nice wallet!

Well, i think you should sell the pattern too. Many leatherworkers don't have the patience (or skill) to make patterns or even modify one (like you did :thumbsup: ), so they prefer to buy them.

About the price, probably not to high, because it will discourage people to buy, but I'm not sure what price!!! :)

What do you think of £5 so about 7 Euro , $7.70 US , $10.80 Australian ?

My opinion, and because I buy in euros!!! For those who get paid in £, £5 isn't much, but for those who have other currencies is quite high! Maybe you should think in $US and then convert to £ for your final price, do you understand what I mean?

And perhaps you should have other opinions regarding the price, probably there are other people here in the forum who sell patterns, and can advise you better than me on that matter.

I wouldn't pay that much for a single pattern by itself...

Neither would I 25b.

I just don't know how to price it so threw out a starting point.

What would you pay?

US$ 5 ?

My opinion, and because I buy in euros!!! For those who get paid in £, £5 isn't much, but for those who have other currencies is quite high! Maybe you should think in $US and then convert to £ for your final price, do you understand what I mean?

And perhaps you should have other opinions regarding the price, probably there are other people here in the forum who sell patterns, and can advise you better than me on that matter.

Good idea to start with US and convert from there.

so US$5 £3.25 Euro 4.55 Aus$ 7

Does anyone else have this trouble pricing things? I'm determined to get my head around it.

This time I think I may have gone about this the wrong way though.

I've now looked at pattern packs available and will set the price relative to them I think.

SamB and 25b thanks for the feedback. Has helped get my head in the right place I think.

I'll put up a post when I've drawn up the pattern with instructions to complete the pack.

If anyone is interested in the pattern alone let me know.

Happy Halloween everyone.

Hi Gillian, sorry couldn't answer you before.

Well, that price is better, and looking at pattern packs as orientation isn't a bad idea!

You're right, pricing our things isn't easy! Some time ago, I found a pin on Pinterest that teaches how to price handmade works, maybe it would help you pricing your pattern too. I'll give you the link when I find it on my Pinterest boards!

When you have the pattern ready, let me know!

Have a great weekend!

Sandra

Edited by SamB

I found the links, even though I don't use this formula :)

http://www.adesignerlife.net/?s=product+price

http://www.craftprofessional.com/craft-pricing-formula.html

The last link has an excel sheet for download with the formula!

I found the links, even though I don't use this formula :)

http://www.adesignerlife.net/?s=product+price

http://www.craftprofessional.com/craft-pricing-formula.html

The last link has an excel sheet for download with the formula!

Thanks for this SamB :-)

Thanks for this SamB :-)

You're welcome Gillian! :)

And how did it go? Have you decide to sell the pattern?

You're welcome Gillian! :)

And how did it go? Have you decide to sell the pattern?

Funny you should ask SamB. I am at the moment battling with my computer to post the templates. for some reason Safari crashes when I try to, anyway i will persevere. I haven't got round to finishing a full pattern with instructions and want to share them.

May have to make another topic.

Funny you should ask SamB. I am at the moment battling with my computer to post the templates. for some reason Safari crashes when I try to, anyway i will persevere. I haven't got round to finishing a full pattern with instructions and want to share them.

May have to make another topic.

You're using an Apple PC? Can't help you much there :) But are you trying to upload as an image file, or pdf? Or zipped?

If you're trying to upload an image file, maybe it's crashing because of the file size. Maybe you should convert it to pdf or zip it.

It's working now :-)

Here they are. Hope they are useful.

QCPTEMPLATEpg2

QCPTEMPLATEpg1

If anyone uses them and has time it would be great to hear how you got on.

Best wishes.

Gillian

It's working now :-)

Here they are. Hope they are useful.

If anyone uses them and has time it would be great to hear how you got on.

Best wishes.

Gillian

Cool!

Glad you made it! Thanks for sharing it!

I might try it, and then I'll let you know and post pics :thumbsup:

Sandra

Hi All,

I'm curious.

Has anyone made use of these templates?

How did you get on?

Best wishes

Gillian

Looks good...alot better than the one I just tried making (my first attempt).  I've been playing with this one trying to get the bugs out of it...it is actually a pattern from an al stohlmans book.

Hi LoneWolf1973,

The Al Stohlman pattern was the inspiration/starting point for the templates I posted above. Love the original pattern but I found I had to tweak the hole positioning a bit. Definitely worth the effort though due to success selling both the original purses in two sizes and the cards one too.

They are a great canvas for personalising with stamps and carving. So great practice pieces with the relatively small amount of leather involved. Hell I can gush about these patterns all day.

Two things have helped me when making them.

1 start stitching (or lacing?) in the middle of each of the runs. This is probably more complicated when lacing rather than stitching as it means you have to lace backwards for the second half. However when stitching it helps to keep the purse balanced as it comes together rather than the stitching pulling a side one way or the other.

2 if stitching rather than lacing make a loop of thread to pull the thread end back through the inside of the stitches to better secure the last stitch/knot.

I haven't tried a second one yet but I had noticed that I will have to modify it.  I am not sure if it is me or the pattern but it did not go together correctly.  Like you said it is a good inspiration.  I have taken another pattern from that book for a nail clipper case and working on modifying is to a flash drive case.  The other one I have done out of that book is a knife sheath and it came out great...allot better than the kit.