LeatherNerd

Big Ugly Nasty Ugly Tool Roll ;)

I just posted this to my "Always Be Carving" thread (in the Critique forum) where I'm seeking continuous feedback on my carving skill, but I realized that I really am proud of this so I really am going to show it off. Attention Fellow Newbies: I am about to brag about something that really sucks! :lol:

Critiques are certainly welcome, even if the only critique you can think of is "suck less.". :)

This tool roll works well but looks awful because it's made entirely from scraps and I've built it over the past 4 months--and I started in leather just 5 months ago. So the quality does actually improve as the tool roll grows in size. Any tips or advice are most welcome. I just want to sort of prepare you for what you are about to see, which is that this roll is all about "function over form". I know it's ugly.

Here's the post:

I don't think this should go in "Show Off!" but I don't see a "No, Dave, Noooo!" thread, so here you go. I saw George Hurst mention a tool roll project in one of the Tandy Premium videos and thought "Heyyyy, I know how to do that already." I grabbed some spare upholstery vinyl and made a tidy little bundle: the brown/gray/black panels in the lower left.

Then I bought 15 more tools all at once. Liz suggested instead of lengthening the roll, I should make it a "double decker". So the upper left black panel was added, also out of upholstery vinyl.

Then I bought more tools. And more. And more. By this time I was doing dyeing experiments on entire pieces of 8.5"x11" alligator-embossed leather, and waste not want not, right? So I added the center panel (with gray tool slots), and then about a month later added the rightmost panel (with black tool slots). I ripped off the "legend" from the center panel when I added the rightmost panel because the steampunk gears needed to be moved down to the bottom row to balance the top/bottom roll diameters.

Organization? HAH! They're basically in the order I bought them. Some day when my tool-itis slows down I'll go back and make myself a"nice" tool roll, and I'll organize the cams and the shaders and the bevelers each with their own kind, but until then... well, I sort of know where everything is.

In this thread (The "Always Be Carving" in the Critique My Work forum--Ed.) I have done all my carving practice with JUST the tools in the lower left GRAY PANEL ONLY. That's the Tandy "Magic 6" plus a Mulefoot. (Well, plus the swivel knife and stylus on either side of that panel. Oh, plus the V707 veiner stop, that's second in from the the very top right.)

So yeah. Lots of tools in there, so lonely, calling out to me... but I want to get my technique down first. I'll probably "play" with other tools soon but I don't want to branch out into other tools until I'm sure I'll learn more by doing so, rather than develop bad habits by using a tool that covers my mistakes.

Confession: I am inordinately proud of this tool roll. It's ugly as hell and I know it but it's mine and I made it and it works perfectly. Pragmatically speaking it is perfectly adequate. It's so ugly that only a mother father could love it, but I do. :lol:

P.S. Not that anybody cares besides me, but I do so shut up: Rolled up tight, in its current size and loadout, it's almost exactly 12" long and 4" in diameter, and weighs 5lb 10.6oz. Unrolled length is 27.5". This gives it a density of 2637kg/m3, so it will sink in molten aluminum (right before it catches fire), though it will float in aluminum bromide (without catching fire, though the vinyl might melt). It will also sink in molten Cesium (or it would, if you could get enough of it together and melt it without it exploding upon contact with moisture in the air, so you know what let's skip the Cesium). In fact, about the only reasonable molten solid to sink this in might be molten sulfur. At 115°C the vinyl might melt, but if, hypothetically, you were carrying this tool roll near a brimstone vent by an active volcano, and you dropped it into the molten brimstone, it would sink, but it would be just fine. I would still understand if you chose to leave it there and get yourself to safety though. I mean seriously what are you even doing trying to tool leather next to an active volcano? Priorities, people, priorities!

P.P.S. My favorite 2 things about this tool roll are 1) everything fits snugly enough that I can sling the unrolled slab over my shoulder and carry it from my office to my workbench, and 2) the glove snaps along the top. They force the top flap to tuck and crimp instead of flop out as I'm rolling the bundle. They were my wife's idea just a few days ago and they're already my favorite thing.

post-65071-0-85370000-1446668027_thumb.j

post-65071-0-04666300-1446668034_thumb.j

post-65071-0-99029700-1446668039_thumb.j

Edited by LeatherNerd

Sure is ugly. But it seems to work.

Should keep folks from stealing your tools

Yegads. You could knock someone out with that thing. ;)

Sure is ugly. But it seems to work.

We really do call it the "Big Ugly Nasty Ugly" tool roll. "So ugly they had to name it twice!" :lol:

Talk about a Frankentoolroll! :rofl:

OOOH! "Frankenroll". I like it! :lol:

Yegads. You could knock someone out with that thing. ;)

I'm compensating for someth--actually, you know what, this joke ends up with me being the punchline. Nevermind... :)

I think its awesome! Its your personal Story Scroll. But you didn’t leave room to add on to it .. a disappointment in the making I am sure.

I would like to submit to the court that the true crime here is not that is is ugly, which it most certainly is. I would humbly suggest that this tool roll would have to sneak up on a mirror to see its own reflection. No gentle readers, that is not the true crime here. The true crime here is that this creation was spewed forth from the neither realms and presented on a leather working forum and was born from that most unholy of materials. Unclean one I name thee VINYL! and do cast ye from the forum!

I think its awesome! Its your personal Story Scroll. But you didn’t leave room to add on to it .. a disappointment in the making I am sure.

Not so! The center and right panels are built to the same pattern and can be extended with a fourth, fifth, etc, indefinitely. When I fill the current panel, I'll grab another sheet of 8.5x11 backing, sew tool slots onto the front, and then stitch it onto the rightmost edge. Each time I do, I have to cut the rivets off the belts and move them to the new farthest edge. If you look carefully at the back, you can see the holes where the belts used to be riveted. :)

My last move of the belts, I widened the holes and put in Chicago screws so I wouldn't have to cut off any more rivets--I could just punch new holes and move the belts over. :)

I would like to submit to the court that the true crime here is not that is is ugly, which it most certainly is. I would humbly suggest that this tool roll would have to sneak up on a mirror to see its own reflection. No gentle readers, that is not the true crime here. The true crime here is that this creation was spewed forth from the neither realms and presented on a leather working forum and was born from that most unholy of materials. Unclean one I name thee VINYL! and do cast ye from the forum!

I can only throw myself on the mercy of the court... I WAS YOUNG AND I NEEDED THE MONEY

The V word!?

Forgive the heresy, but for tool slots I just can't beat the stretch of the V-word. If and when I make a "proper" tool roll (complete with a tooled mosaic all over the back, etc) I will probably use 5oz veg-tan as the backing and 2-3oz suede, or some other soft, pliant leather for the tool slots.

But... yeah... if I need to add a fourth panel, I already have an 8.5"x11" piece of faux alligator ready to go, and I have just enough of the V-word left to do one last set of tool slots and coverings.

I'm not young anymore... BUT I STILL NEED THE MONEY :rofl:

Edited by LeatherNerd

After the initial shock has worn off I'm actually beginning to like your golemorous roll especially the labeling with denomination and sample imprints.

Such a roll would spare me to sift through two large bouquets of stamps and not finding the one I need because it's the only one stuck in upside down.

I also like the absence of dead seriousness in your post and Kiwican's lawyerly elocution. It made me chuckle and brightened up a dull November morning.

Edited by LederRudi

ok, now that THAT bit of controVersy is over, we might just add: never again! how could you? oh yeah - you needed the money. it's allowed.

ONCE. :head_hurts_kr:

very cool idea. and what a monster.