rattz

Dismantling A Singer 29K15

Hi folks I've just bought a singer 29k 15 machine with stand. Its been stood for a good few year and needs a total refurbishment. Before I have the downloaded manual for it but it doesn't show all the parts. So it's there a manual for dismantling this machine? I've looked and can't find one. Or is there someone online that has recorded how to do it. The main problem I have is that it looks like there are some pins rather than bolts holding some of the bits together, rear pulleys, top rocker arm. They look original as they are nearly perfect. But I Need to know about them before I try to knock them out only to find out they were threaded and ive knackered the whole job. Advice please people. I'm very mechanically minded and it's good honest Victorian/Edwardian engineering!

Cheers folks

the pins are an issue, they are tapered so make sure you can replace them the same way they came out. other than that it's an easy strip down with lots of cleaning

Nice one cheers bro. I managed to find a parts diagram online a few minutes ago, after hours of searching. It does help if you put the right thing into Google! Lol ill put the link up in a min. Its for a 29k72 put they look very similar.

Here's the link. ...

http://www.industrialsewingmachineparts.co.uk/parts_ankai2972.pdf

Edited by rattz

29K are rather simple machine. There is not much you can do wrong. The pins are an issue but the one on big one in the middle of the leaver and the one thats holds the needle bar go out from back to from. The one on the cam is a bit difficult but if you have an good eye you see which side it thicker. As far as I remember the tapered end sticks out a bit more (but not 100% certain)

I've just stripped and rebuilt my 29k15. The pins knocked out fairly easy,and came out of the front.ie hit them with a punch from the rear of the machine....all pins are still available should you need to replace any. If you do,you'll know when you get them out. Available from college sewing here in the uk.

I do intend on doing a complete strip down again as I've just sourced a complete decal set from the states for it,so it will be getting a new paint job:-)

Anything you need to know, just ask!

These pins are tapered and so are all other ins on the 29K. Usually the end that sticks out is the wider end so you have to tap it out from the narrow end. You also may need a gear puller for removing the pulley from the shaft. I´m just ripping apart a 29K3 so here are some pictures

IMG_3332.JPG

IMG_3330.JPG

IMG_3331.JPG

So does this pin need to be removed before I can get the pulley off, given that you can't access the narrow end, or am I just in need of a gear puller?

You have to remove the pin since the pin goes thought the shaft AND pulley and you most likely will need the gear puller but depends on how tight the pulley is on the shaft. The gear puller makes it a lot easier.

Haha, yeh I'm an idiot. There's a hole on the other side. Didn't realize for all the gunk in it. Thank for the help. Other than that it's all coming along nicely. I'll share some pics when it's done