buckwhip

9' Kangaroo Hide Bullwhip

Just finished this bullwhip and shipped it to the buyer. It was a custom build. 9', three-belly kangaroo hide bullwhip with a 10" steel handle, bolstered latigo core, and a 16 plait overlay. Strands were stretched, resized, split, tapered, and beveled.

Great cracker, really very fluid. Buyer will receive it in the next couple of days and I look forward to his review.

Video of the whip:

https://youtu.be/iyZTeqvDI50

121%20coil%201_zpsro5go2qo.jpg

121%20plaiting%201_zpsidkredgj.jpg

121%20plaiting%202_zpszwqpkhks.jpg

121%20plaiting%203_zpsdds3rpg4.jpg

Impressive I am sortof thinking of trying my hand at whip making just not overly sure what equipment I would need as well as how much hide I would need!

Beautiful looking whip.

Absolutely gorgeous!

Impressive I am sortof thinking of trying my hand at whip making just not overly sure what equipment I would need as well as how much hide I would need!

Give it a whirl - just keep in mind that it is not easy! This is my 121st whip and I am still struggling with certain whipmaking techniques.

At a minimum, you'll need a stranding tool (look at Tandy Leather's Australian Strander for $30), a good pair of leather shears, and some plaiting soap (can be made at home for ~$2/batch).

For roo hide whips, 2 standard hides will yield a decent 6' bullwhip, 3 hides for a 9', and 4 - 5 hides for a 12'.

hmmm wondering what you are paying for roo hides. And if you don't mind me asking...what price do you sell these for?

thanks

Lew

Edited by biglew

Biglew - I pay roughly $75 shipped per hide. This particular bullwhip was sold for $475.