I am making a belt today for my brother. The belt is going to be made from Meza veg tanned leather (very nice). It feels like it is finished. I am putting a square sheild belt buckle and was thinking of not burnishing the belt edges or applying edge coat dye (since I only have black). So,I was wondering what you all do to finish,conditioner, top kote, carnubba cream, wax or nothing on that kind of leather. I will try and upload picture for you. thanks in advance,

You should burnish and finish the edges...if you don't, it won't look or feel "finished". Some people call it "rustic", but that's really just code for "I'm too lazy to put in the time/work/effort to make an exceptional product..."

I'm not saying that's what you are doing...but it's an easy trap to fall into...

If you don't have the right color edge coat, buy it. It's sort of a waste of time to put all that effort into making a nice belt and then not finishing it properly because you don't have the right color edge finish.

If you just really, really don't want to do it, you should at least bevel the edges and use wax (paraffin or beeswax) or gum tragacanth or something like that to seal them...

Edited by 25b

leatherworker, that's kinda why I''m asking. its not the time or effort because i'm usually over detailed to make it the best. I'm am a novice though. My thought is buckle square and that the leather is somewhat finished. I really need to upload picture so you can see. I tried to a few min ago and couldnt figure it out. lol. I am thinking more of the overall look. I am going to do a sample and burnish now and see what it looks like. Thanks for the reply to my post.

Big

Here is a picture of the Belt and buckle i'm working on.

post-57777-0-00100500-1446822664_thumb.j

I would definitely bevel the edges and at the very least burnish them with wax... If you don't bevel the edges, they'll get messed up with use over time...

I would definitely bevel the edges and at the very least burnish them with wax... If you don't bevel the edges, they'll get messed up with use over time...

I agree ^^^

If you like the square edges on that belt go with them!

Some of us find the "exceptional product" look just as off putting as others might find the old work harness look for everyday use.

If you like the square edges on that belt go with them!

Some of us find the "exceptional product" look just as off putting as others might find the old work harness look for everyday use.

All quality harness should have finished edges, as it is not about looks it is about water influx. Wet straps stretch and are weaker. They sealed the edges and creased them to prevent water from soaking in through the side. Unfinished harness would get destroyed in the rain. They used wayyy tougher stuff than beeswax.

look at this recipe book from 1906: https://archive.org/details/manufacturelubr00brungoog

Bevelling the edges does not need to be a full roundover. I would use a very small edger to keep the edge square but just remove the sharp corner. Then slick with gum trag or just beeswax. The slight darkening, reddish tone will complement the color of the front i think. If you do it this way, the full grain and color variation of the edge will still be visible, and it will look rugged but refined. A good leather craftsman bevels all exposed edges if possible, even if it is a tiny bevel. It may not change the look much but makes all the difference to the in the hand feel for the end user. The products we make are not just about looks but how they feel in the hand and how they work.

Machinists deburr sharp edges on parts, woodworkers break edges to prevent splinters and to make the corner feel better, its how it is done.

The buckle "calls" for a black belt in my opinion . I would also put a groove 1/8in from the edge and a fine bevel , but not burnish them

I agree with 25b on this one....nevermind. :)

There's no point in arguing much about things that matter little. :cheers:

Hey Big

Can you please tell me where you purchased that octopus buckle? Best one that I've seen yet!