Colt W Knight

Any Value To A Clutch Motor?

I replaced the clutch motor on my Consew 206-RB with a servo a while back. Typically, I am not the type to throw anything away, and generally I would use that motor to build something else just for fun. However, I am moving, and I need to make some room in the trailer.

Does an old consew clutch motor have any value? Or is it going to have to go in the trash? I simply cant take it with me, and I am finishing my doctorate so I do not have much free time to find it a home.

Take it to the local upholstery/trim shop, give it to them, give it a good home.

Art

Take it to the local upholstery/trim shop, give it to them, give it a good home.

Art

A gift goes a long way. Never know when you will have a project that needs a binder machine for that one thing, or just one bartack......

It could make a pretty nice burnisher motor, too.

You can get about $8 at the recycle center but better to give it a new home.

Edited by Wishful

the burnisher motor is a great idea.

the burnisher motor is a great idea.

If a little bit of overkill...... :lol: . Having said that, I now have two of these wee beasties spare (including an old Singer that may almost rate as a classic model). The idea of a burnisher had already occurred to me, but the biggest problem I have is finding somewhere to mount it!!

Nobody wants them around where I live.

I am keeping an old clutch motor hoping one day to build a flour mill and use it to power.

I have two mounted on the end of my work bench. One has a brass wire wheel on the end and the other,a cloth buffing wheel.

All linkages,bolts and attachments on all of my sewing machines are very clean and shiny ;-)

Nobody wants them around where I live.

I am keeping an old clutch motor hoping one day to build a flour mill and use it to power.

Same here, kind of like CRT televisions, you just can get rid of them without throwing them away.

Mine went in the dumpster

I bet some motors have 20 bux in copper alone. Metal prices are down but crt televisions usually have at least 5lbs if not 10 in lead in the glass and solder, plus precious metals in smaller quantities. I know that the Cominco Smelter in Trail BC at least used to grind up whole tvs and smelt them with the ore. Take them to the recycler, Its better than the bin.

I recycle all my metal goods via a guy who leaves a trailer outside for me. When it's full, he hauls it away and keeps the profit. It's a good arrangement for me since I don't have the time. He likes when there's a lot of motors. No doubt the copper. I parted out and recycled about 60 machines last year. I'll do about the same this year.

I do still have a lot of machines running clutch motors. Mostly Singer and Amco's. I have a few Wico's which are actually pretty good clutch motors for an aftermarket. We have a lot of operations in the factory where clutch motors work just fine. We sew as fast as possible, so variable speed is a non issue. I control top end speed with different size pulleys.

In our training school, we teach everyone to use a clutch motor. We've found that they actually get up to speed faster when they don't have a servo motor setting a speed they're comfortable at. Of course good operators keep a servo motor to the floor all day anyway. The new direct drive motors mounted to the top shaft of the new Juki single and double needle machines are amazing.

Regards, Eric

I have a deal with the local scrap merchant - he takes away my old motors and gives me any industrial machines that come his way.

While most of what he gets are thrown back in the scrap pile I do get the odd gem.