Has anyone ever tried to make a stamp tool out of wood? If so was it successful? I would love to have a makers mark but it will be an extremely long time before I can make one. Any thoughts?

You can make stamps out of just about anything. It only has to be harder than leather. It will work best with a press.

There are LOTS of letterpress stamps and woodcuts on ebay that work well. The only issue becomes longevity.

I don't have a press except my own two burly arms and beer gut. Why would the wood not last if I hit it? I'm just curious the difference between the wood and metal. Of course metal is harder, but why would the wood not last as long? What is the science behind it? Inquiring minds need to know!

Thanks for the responses!

Like electrathon has already said, the blunt force trauma of hitting the wood would most likely split it.

Using a press spreads more of the energy evenly. A tight grain wood is probably the best route to take

since it will leave a tighter texture in the leather vs an open grain.

I've definitely seen someone make large letters for impressing into the leather.

Do you have a bench vice? Think of it as a horizontal press. You can even use a 8 or 10 inch C-clamp in a pinch. Just remember to use a backing board on the other side of the leather.

Would a polly cutting board be a decent backer board?

So I think I am a little confused.... So when you say the wood stamp would not last as long do you mean the stamp itself or the mark that it makes in the leather would not last as long?

Poly cutting boards work great to cut on, bad to stamp on. You want stone for that.

The stamp will fail, the impressions will last. A wood stamp will function, it's life will just be short lived. Realize that people have metal stamps fail, and they are tougher than wood.

Ok now I understand, thank you! The nice thing might be though that I can just keep carving out a piece of wood and it is a LOT cheaper than a metal stamp. Good for a newbie :)

Thank you!