animal

Handbag Book

Hello all,

I dont know if I may or may not post this question on this leather forum.

Im about learning for making a handbag, because real leather for handbag will make an expensive bag, I switch the material to faux leather. I've already bought a book "Handbag Designer 101" and I just realize the book have an issue about the pattern size problem (and its true after I print it).

The point here, does anyone can give any references the right book for beginner like me to make a handbags, mostly for the pattern and direction to assembly the bag including technique and clear picture.

Thanks before =)

(Sorry for bad grammar)

Hello,

don't know where you're from and what your first language is, but probably not Japanese. However, here are some really good books with step-by-step instructions. http://goodsjapan.com/books-21-c.asp

This book http://goodsjapan.com/leathercraft-book-my-first-leather-items-on-learning-leathercrafting-1630-p.asp may be just what you are looking for. I don't read Japanese either, but the pictures are self-explanatory. Some things are even written in English and in metric dimensions.

Thanks Thor.

I've already check your site reference.

Seems the book used for real leather.

I've found a site which has several eds for this publisher (jap book) maybe you have already know this site.

(link redacted)

I want to make a bag looks like in this web https://handbagdesigner101.com/homepage

maybe you or anyone can help give me another ref =)

its okey if it's not a book , a blog perhaps?

Thank You.

Edited by Johanna
no torrent links please

I don't refer to copyright infringements and neither should you on this site. Some things should be kept private. Besides only the top is Russian. The lower sections are English and the same referrals.

If you are looking to copy a bag, It is always best to get the pattern from the maker. Some of the makers on this site also sell their patterns or give them away. There are lots of patterns and tutorials floating around here.

Copying without permission is generally frowned upon.

If you want to design your own unconventional funky bags that could stand alongside the bags on the site you posted, you are going to need to learn to draft patterns yourself. There are tutorials for that on here as well.

Watch Arthur Porter's videos on youtube. Not much he hasnt covered in handbags.

Animal...if you're just wanting to make a bag for yourself or as a gift (i.e. not to sell to anyone), then you can do that. Unless they have an actual patent on the design (very, very rare), then there isn't anything they can really do about it. If you want more info, please PM me....I've done a lot of research on this over the past several years.

I don't refer to copyright infringements and neither should you on this site. Some things should be kept private. Besides only the top is Russian. The lower sections are English and the same referrals.

Yes, the link had been redacted by this site. Sorry its my bad.

But thanks anyway for your info Thor =)

If you are looking to copy a bag, It is always best to get the pattern from the maker. Some of the makers on this site also sell their patterns or give them away. There are lots of patterns and tutorials floating around here.

Copying without permission is generally frowned upon.

If you want to design your own unconventional funky bags that could stand alongside the bags on the site you posted, you are going to need to learn to draft patterns yourself. There are tutorials for that on here as well.

Watch Arthur Porter's videos on youtube. Not much he hasnt covered in handbags.

Hello TinkerTailor,

Yes, I would like to learn making a handbag with my own design. I will try the link you refer too.

What you mean the "tutorials on here as well" means on this site?

I have to make further research on this site.

Thanks for your info

Animal...if you're just wanting to make a bag for yourself or as a gift (i.e. not to sell to anyone), then you can do that. Unless they have an actual patent on the design (very, very rare), then there isn't anything they can really do about it. If you want more info, please PM me....I've done a lot of research on this over the past several years.

Hi 25b,

I want to run a business on this types of handbag (not copying the models of bags on site I post previously).

So Im looking references for learning structure of a bag, pattern making, assembly the patern (all about basic hand bag making)

Maybe you can help me for that? =)

Thanks for your help.

Hello TinkerTailor,

Yes, I would like to learn making a handbag with my own design. I will try the link you refer too.

What you mean the "tutorials on here as well" means on this site?

I have to make further research on this site.

Thanks for your info

The built in search here is not so good, for a better search, just use google and put this "site:leatherworker.net" in front of your search terms.

Here is a link to thread on this site which is titled as " The Most Comprehensive Briefcase Tutorial In The World"

Get this book...

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherworking-Handbook-Illustrated-Sourcebook-Techniques/dp/1844034747

And this one...Design & Construction of Handbags. By W C Double

If you can't find the second one for sale anywhere, see if you can get it through your local library via inter-library loan.

Those should give you a good start in the right direction.

The built in search here is not so good, for a better search, just use google and put this "site:leatherworker.net" in front of your search terms.

Here is a link to thread on this site which is titled as " The Most Comprehensive Briefcase Tutorial In The World"

Wow.. thanks Tinkertailor, I like his blog. Hope I learn something from there.

Get this book...

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherworking-Handbook-Illustrated-Sourcebook-Techniques/dp/1844034747

And this one...Design & Construction of Handbags. By W C Double

If you can't find the second one for sale anywhere, see if you can get it through your local library via inter-library loan.

Those should give you a good start in the right direction.

Thanks 25b Already have the 1st book you mention here.

But for the second book I think its impossible if I search on my local library, I live in Indonesia.

Has anyone ever take a lesson from CRAFTSY?

Is it worth it? Because Im about to try this class http://www.craftsy.com/class/design-your-own-handbag/144?_ct=myixbyij-jyjbu-sbysa&_ctp=5004187

I find the Better Bag Maker helpful because it goes through the parts and construction of any kind of bag. Most of the principles will apply equally to a leather bag that requires inside-out construction.

The book assumes you already know how to sew reasonably well.

I find the Better Bag Maker helpful because it goes through the parts and construction of any kind of bag. Most of the principles will apply equally to a leather bag that requires inside-out construction.

The book assumes you already know how to sew reasonably well.

Thanks Nuttish,

I've already saw it on amazon.

So even the project on that book use canvas or something, I can change it with any material, but with the same technique right?

Can you give example for the unexplained part of the book refer to "

The book assumes you already know how to sew reasonably well"

Edited by animal

http://theleatherconnection.com/tlc_members_cloud_page.htm

If you need help after purchasing the manual you can email Francis the craftsman that wrote it. It is a online course so emails are expected. He will only respond to questions for the manual that you buy.

Manual number 4 is perfect for bags and briefcase handles. It will not refer in manual number 4 to accordian gussets or piped seams(fairly simple). It is advanced level material.

Leather craft manufacture written by G.C Moseley.

I own a copy. Again advanced level material that I will be reading in the future because the knowledge not sink in at my skill level.

Valerie Michael's book is intermediate and bridges the gap into professional leatherworking.

All 3 books are fundamental knowledge building books. They are not design books, there are fair amount of those type of books around.

Edited by DavidL

On 12/1/2015 at 4:04 AM, DavidL said:

http://theleatherconnection.com/tlc_members_cloud_page.htm

If you need help after purchasing the manual you can email Francis the craftsman that wrote it. It is a online course so emails are expected. He will only respond to questions for the manual that you buy.

Manual number 4 is perfect for bags and briefcase handles. It will not refer in manual number 4 to accordian gussets or piped seams(fairly simple). It is advanced level material.

Leather craft manufacture written by G.C Moseley.

I own a copy. Again advanced level material that I will be reading in the future because the knowledge not sink in at my skill level.

Valerie Michael's book is intermediate and bridges the gap into professional leatherworking.

All 3 books are fundamental knowledge building books. They are not design books, there are fair amount of those type of books around.

Wow David, sorry I just look at your reply now. Thanks for your information, its very clear. I have look at the web but the price is very expensive especially if it convert to my currency.

I will start from Valerie by the way. Even the book presenting old style bag but the technique still use in this recent days ^^. Thanks again and wish you all the best! 

Also, as a precursor of all modern britanian books on leathercraft (in terms of visual representation) is Leathercraft by Attwater, W. A, Batsford (1961) revised in 1983 by D.A. Friend with The Technique of Leathercraft title.

On 11/13/2016 at 5:06 PM, poletnik87 said:

Also, as a precursor of all modern britanian books on leathercraft (in terms of visual representation) is Leathercraft by Attwater, W. A, Batsford (1961) revised in 1983 by D.A. Friend with The Technique of Leathercraft title.

Thank you for this more information poletnik.