MasterLeatherCraftsman

Boot & Shoe Supplies.

Can any one tell me and/or give me some names of company's that sell Boot & Shoe findings/supplies, wholesale/retail.

I am in need of welt, toe box's,heel counters, crepe sheets, tacks, nails, etc.

THANKS!!!

I'm going to ask a few questions before I set you upon suppliers, some of whom are really assholes.

What are you making; Shoes (men's or women's, or sports type), Boots Western or English or athletic (hiking etc.).

What type of construction are you looking at doing. Glue, welted, or some amalgamation of the two.

For Soles etc, the best leather, or medium decent good stuff. Or just crap for your first pair.

What things are you looking for.

Seems like I want to know a lot, but understand that most of the suppliers work with the repair trade. They don't know bespoke from smoke. Most of the suppliers out there may have a really crappy website that doesn't tell you much OR they won't have a website at all. Either way, you probably will have to call them (and you would be much better off to do so because tech savvy these guys ain't) especially because they have a whole bunch of stuff back in the warehouse that isn't on their website.

Some of the tools for bespoke shoemaking (that you may want to try) are few and far between if even manufactured anymore, so let me know if you want any of that. BTW, you can make shoes with a few knives, a couple rolls of tape, a hammer, a couple of pots of glue, a pencil, sewing stuff, needles, awls, thread (a sewing machine helps when closing uppers though not necessary), lasts and leather. The extra tools just make it easier (and more expensive).

For Boots, try Panhandle Leather, but remember there is more stuff in the back room.

I;ll give you more when I know where you're headed. You can't learn much from the websites that are available, you have to get on the phone; but half (or more) of the time, they will know less than you do. Sometimes you have to order it to see what it is.

Art

Thank You Art.

I already got the lasts from Panhandle Leather.

I am making misc. shoes, and maybe some low cut dress boots.

It has been almost 15 years or so since I made shoes/boots.

I use to get most of my supplies from COBOS & HIDECRAFTERS.

Cobos out of El Paso and Hidecrafter out of Ft.Worth as you used to know them are not in business anymore.

O.Baltor in San Fran is still around.

Southern is all over the South, I know the Memphis Warehouse. Website ok if you know what you are looking for.

Montana Leather is still going.

Sheridan Leather Outfitters has a lot of Leather and liner. They have a bunch of Douglas tools.

Thorneapple River Boots for tools like awls and some lasts

Hide House Napa for good leather selection. For veg tan Wickett & Craig and Herman Oak.

Horween for a multitude of excellent product with long wait times. Some dealers sell Horween seconds which are still pretty good

Springfield Leather Company for some products

Lisa Sorrell Notions and Findings for many hard to find things

If you use the new water based contact cements (Aquilim 315 etc) you will need silicone brushes, Rockler has brushes cheaper than the bristle ones some sell.

Let me know if there is something you can't find, I maybe can get it or let you know how to source it yourself.

Art

Come on Art, I'm just not feeling the love for "suppliers" :dunno:

Off the top of my head I suggest contacting Miami Leather, 305-266-8328 or I. Samuel & Sons, 724-652-9761. We have long standing relationships with them and I find they are great to work with.

All my best,

Thanks Jackie,

When I first started, I had a hard time with shoe suppliers, almost a standoffishness. Must admit, never ever had any problems with OTB. OTB has most everything you need except maybe (I'm never absolutely sure) shoe soling and top leather. It's a good thing I'm not allowed to wander around their warehouse, it would cost me a fortune.

Also J.Weiner in PA, in shoe repair's heyday, there were at least three or four suppliers in every major city, but shoe repair is on the decline and many of these suppliers are now serving regions not cities.

By the way Jackie, what are some good shoemaking, shoerepair shows to attend?

Art

Labelle supply in Vancouver. Need to be a business and do $50 bucks a month to maintain account. No pricing on the website, though they are not bad on the things i have checked. Most everything i looked at was good quality, leather included. First time i walked in the door, the lady very abruptly asked "Do you have an account" before i said hello. She was ready to turf me and get back to real customers.....

I replied no I don't have an account, but i was interested, as they seem to be the only local supplier for thread for my heavy stitcher as well as a few other products i was currently ordering online. The old guy in the back piped up and asked me what machine i had. As soon as i told him I had a 441 clone and was looking for alternate thread to nylon in tex270+ or 4-6 cord, braided poly, linen, etc, he lightened up, and he took me into the back and gave me the tour. I went in with a specific list of a couple product to look at and get a price, and did not waste his time. Nice guy and i think he appreciated the difficulty in having one of these machines in getting supplies. Told me after we had a good chat, some of the conditions of the account could be waived if needed.

I think these standoffish places are more than willing to help if you know what you want and don't waste their time. If you are a Martha Stewart crafter, and go there for a lesson with every purchase of one bottle of dye, you won't be their favourite. I have seen the guy in the local leather store give a lesson on how to set rivets to a newbie EVERY time i have been in there....He has had the shop for 20years plus...........How many free rivet lessons is that to sell each person a few rivets and a buckle......It would drive me crazy.