Boriqua

Snap Cake Snap Direction?

Going to be making my first snapcake style holster. I notice that some designs have the snap strap pointing down so you lift the snap upwards to remove

fit-520x390.jpg?mtime=1336618127

and some have the snap strap end pointing up so you flip down to remove.

fit-520x390.jpg?mtime=1316657271

I will be using Pull dot type fasteners. My initial thought was I would have the snap strap fish under the belt and face down when snapped like in the top image but is there a reason to consider the other way around. Is one way more secure than the other. Its a simple matter to make it either way in the pattern but I am curious which might be more secure.

Thanks fellas

Alex

Never made one, but have heard the snap end pointing down saves leather. If you consider how the patten is laid out on the hide before cutting, you'll see having the straps pointing up will not be the most efficient use of hide.

Never made one, but have heard the snap end pointing down saves leather. If you consider how the patten is laid out on the hide before cutting, you'll see having the straps pointing up will not be the most efficient use of hide.

Hmmm damn fine point!

I take my belt straps over the top like your first photo...I think it is easier to get on and off this way and the snaps stay more secure.

I really don't see where you would save any leather one way or the other.

Troy

I really don't see where you would save any leather one way or the other.

Troy

Maybe a better way to say what I'm describing is, cutting the patten with the straps going down would decrease the overall "foot print". It'll be a smaller overall area on the hide that will be intruded upon. There is a thread somewhere in here.

All that being said, I've never done one before. I'm basically repeating what I recall from a previous similar thread. If in actual practice it works better one way than do that. Like anything, the theory and actual application probably differ.

Maybe a better way to say what I'm describing is, cutting the patten with the straps going down would decrease the overall "foot print". It'll be a smaller overall area on the hide that will be intruded upon. There is a thread somewhere in here.

All that being said, I've never done one before. I'm basically repeating what I recall from a previous similar thread. If in actual practice it works better one way than do that. Like anything, the theory and actual application probably differ.

Ok...I see what you mean...I think you're right

It looks like the straps in the second photo are attached mechanically rather than being an integral part of the holster. I've made a couple like that using a Chicago screw through the snap post. The advantage is you can make different straps for different belt widths. You can also change the orientation of the strap (up or down) easily as well.

Both of those examples are mine :)

I used to give the customer the option of which way they wanted it to go, but now I do them all with the free end facing down

like so:

vp9tbreakset.jpg

Both of those examples are mine :)

I used to give the customer the option of which way they wanted it to go, but now I do them all with the free end facing down

like so:

How fregin cool is that!! I pull two images off of the web through a google search that I thought were done really well as reference to what I want to shoot for and the dude who made them is on here and responds !! Im diggin this site.

Anyway I cut two patterns. One has the strap pointing down and is integral to the pattern and one that will get the straps added with a T nut but I think will also point down but it will be removable and can be switched by the user. Nice work brother!

Ok .. like i am want to do I will share my experience for anyone else following along. So I just finished two snapcake holsters. First ones I have ever done. One I had the straps integral to the pattern and one I made separate straps and attached them via tee nuts. The one with the integral straps was kind of a pain to build and with a couple of tight spots it was difficult to get a nice burnish on the edges throughout. My first face piece cut with the integral straps had my straps too short and since they were a part of the pattern it was a junk piece. Its cool because I was doing the second holster for the same gun so I was able to cut the straps part off and reuse the face but still if you are doing one off .. keep in mind it would be ruined.

I dont know that I need to do these again. I may only do them for holsters I make with woman in mind since I get more requests from them for something easily removable than I do from the men. If I make them again I think I will go with removable straps attached with tees. It is easier to build and the one I did I feel just looks a little nicer and a little more finished than the one with the straps included in the pattern. I would have assumed that the extra bulk would turn me off but I actually think it looks a little better. Could be my "guy" eyes just liking it a little more chunky.

snapcake1.JPG

snapcake2.JPG

in my opinion, not that is valued much but nice job on both, did you hand stitch them? And did you find it hard to make the template for the gun that will fit it. I have a desire to make one like that for my xd mod 2 45. Again nice work.

in my opinion, not that is valued much but nice job on both, did you hand stitch them? And did you find it hard to make the template for the gun that will fit it. I have a desire to make one like that for my xd mod 2 45. Again nice work.

Yes I hand stitch everything I make. I thought long and very hard about a machine but I think it would take some of the enjoyment out of making leather goods for me right now. I am still trying to perfect my hand stitch .. maybe when that happens I will think about a machine again. There are more pix here of both in case it helps with your project

http://boriqualeather.com/Glock%2019%20pink%20inlay/

http://boriqualeather.com/Glock%2019%20basketweave/

The pattern isnt very complicated. I dont have the model gun you have but I can send you my pattern if you think it will help. I made these for a 1.5 inch wide belt. You would have to lengthen the straps if you have a wider belt and move stitch lines though.

Alex

That would be great, I do run an 1.5 belt but it is a bit thicker so I would need to cut the straps longer anyway.

Thanks again, that is what is great about this site, the willingness to share with one another.

That would be great, I do run an 1.5 belt but it is a bit thicker so I would need to cut the straps longer anyway.

Thanks again, that is what is great about this site, the willingness to share with one another.

Cool. I will send something your way tomorrow. Its just a pencil drawing but I will scan it at 100% so with just a little tweaking you should be able to get started on yours. Be sure to post your holster when your finished!

I will thank You, it may take me a while but when I get it done I will post photos.

This site is like another I'm on , we are always willing to help others and usually with no thoughts of any payment. It's called mentoring , a way of passing down the things we do to try to save the things we like.