Deraj828

What Should I Not Do When Making A Strap?

It's about time to make a guitar strap, and I'm trying to think of fun things to do with it. I've looked around and gathered some ideas, and it looks like there is a lot of room for creativity when doing this. Before I get too crazy, though, I thought I'd ask you experienced folks what you've tried or seen that doesn't work at all.

What does one not want to do when making a guitar strap, or what are common pitfalls I should watch out for? If a guitar strap is poorly made, what is it that usually went wrong?

Or is it really okay whatever you do, so long as it's reasonably long, has a hole on each end, and has slots for length adjustment somewhere in the mix?

This is a pretty general question, but for reference, I am making this for a bass guitar. So I figure it'll be fairly wide, probably padded & lined (I'll sure know how to stitch by the time it's done, I bet) and I'll put strap locks on, just in case any of that inspires comment.

Helpful Git info/video's at brookwoodleather.com

Helpful indeed, thanks! I hadn't seen those yet.

Further comments are welcome, of course. I'm a pretty slow mover, so however old this thread gets, if you've got something to add, you'll probably be in time.

Helpful Git info/video's at brookwoodleather.com

I made those a long time ago and actually do most every operation differently now. I try and learn something from each item I make. The leather itself is a good teacher if you keep an open mind and are willing to experiment and try new things and new ways of doing things. Even my workspace has evolved. I relocated and now have a proper workshop. I have one 2' x 6' bench for cutting, assembly, and carving, another 2' x 6' bench for dyeing and conditioning or anything that involves liquids so my other station stays clean from stains. And a 4' x 8' table for rolling out sides and doing things requiring a lot of room. It's set up like a galley kitchen so all I have to do is turn around to work on the other workbench.

Otaypanky thanks for posting

Chief31794, from this site, has numerous guitar strap videos on YouTube.

Chris

I made those a long time ago and actually do most every operation differently now. I try and learn something from each item I make. The leather itself is a good teacher if you keep an open mind and are willing to experiment and try new things and new ways of doing things. Even my workspace has evolved. I relocated and now have a proper workshop. I have one 2' x 6' bench for cutting, assembly, and carving, another 2' x 6' bench for dyeing and conditioning or anything that involves liquids so my other station stays clean from stains. And a 4' x 8' table for rolling out sides and doing things requiring a lot of room. It's set up like a galley kitchen so all I have to do is turn around to work on the other workbench.

Bob, I owe you a HUGE thank you. Your video literally got me started.

I learned so much from those videos and have taken off from there.

My passion for leather started with those videos, and 200 guitar straps later my life has changed.

Thank you