BikerBill

Sewing A Loose Hem On Leather Jacket?

I buy and sell new leather jackets. Once in a while from shipping I get one that has a thread cut on a hem. I have two right now that have one place on the bottom hem of the jacket loose. The thread got snagged on something and got cut. So each spot has only a few loops of thread loose. I admit I know nothing about sewing leather.

I got some matching color thread (jacket is brown with brown thread) and some hand needles. I assume I should start a few holes up from the open spots and sew pass the loose spots a ways, right? But how do I stop the other ends of the main thread from slowly working loose? Will the new stitching stop it?

I know this is a very basic question but again, I hardly ever sew, and never have on leather. Thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

Bill

yes you should start 3-5 beyond the break. I would use two needles, one at each end & pass them thru the same hole. this is how most hand stitching is done. vary strong

yes you should start 3-5 beyond the break. I would use two needles, one at each end & pass them thru the same hole. this is how most hand stitching is done. vary strong

Ahhh ok, that does sound like a strong way to do it, thanks. I still have not done it yet, maybe this weekend.

If its very thin thread you can just knot it on the inside. If you want a cleaner look just take the needle and pass it back just under the stitches you just made on the inside and it will virtually disappear. If you go past the spot of the tear you can also just stitch back 2-3 stitches. If its not in a place of stress that will be more than enough to hold it. If its heavier waxed thread .... just touch the end with the lick of a lighter and squash it some with your finger.

Thank you Boriqua for the tips. :thumbsup: