Can anyone give me any information on a SINGER 152K103. I cannot find any information about this sewing machine and I have one I am looking at. Thanks alot!

Checked ISMACS, and they don't list a 152 k 103. Perhaps you are looking at a 153 cylinder arm machine. A 153 has about the same specs as a 2700 Techsew, without reverse. I use my 153 k 103 more than any of my others because of the versatility of the cylinder arm. The only 152 listed is a 2 needle chain stitch machine, and not for leather.

A photo of what you're looking at (especially the name/model plate) would really help us gather information about the machine.

Thanks Gump, the sewing machine I am looking at must be the 153 k 103. I know nothing about sewing machines but I am trying to learn because I have this Singer I am looking at. Any information you have on it would be helpful.
For instance, I don't even know what thread size this Singer can use.

Here is the best picture of the sewing machine that I have Uwe, I cannot read the model number because the picture is too blurry. That is why I thought it was a Singer 152 k 103, because that is what it was listed as.

Thanks!

post-50046-0-39929300-1447619426_thumb.j

Edited by Jome

It sure looks like a 153K103 to me. Often the people posting the ads just make typo. Seems like a nice machine in good condition. There's a User Manual for the Singer 153K103 with specs and other details.

Machine appears to be from the 1960´s because of the nameplate and Singer tag. Check with ISMACS and look up the serial number so you will probably find the orig. Mfg. date. Looks like a binding machine. You probably have to change the needle plate and maybe the feed dog if you want to sew leather.

Thank you Constabulary, the only sewing machine I see listed in the Ismacs is Singer 153 w 103, is this the same as the 153 k 103?

And with changing the parts you mentioned, would this be a good machine for sewing leather?

Yes,

The 153W103 was built at the Bridgeport, Connecticut plant. Singer bought out Wheeler & Wilson in the late teens or early 1920's. Their plant was in Bridgeport I believe. The 153K103 was built at the Kilbowie plant in Scotland. Same basic machine.

glenn

That Singer model number and factory history shure looks messy, after reading up on it a little. According to the Sir Sewalot web page, the W after the model number (as opposed to after the serial number) would indicate the factory in Wittenberge, Germany. Either way, it should be the same machine, just from a different factory.

With compound feed and generally nice specs, this machine should work well for sewing leather.

I'd check it out in person and sew with it to make sure it works as well as it looks before committing to buy. Sometimes tired old machines with worn-off paint just get a quick paint job to squeeze a few extra bucks out of them. I'm not really sure what the parts supply picture looks like for this model or if it shares components with other, more common machines. If it just looks pretty but doesn't work right, you may have a hard time finding replacement parts. If it looks pretty AND it works well, you should be good for a long time unless you abuse it.

Yep, it has a binding attachment (don't know how I missed that!). As Constabulary said, you may need to replace the needle plate, feed dog and the feet if you want to use it for "normal" sewing. You need to check that out first and make sure you can get the parts needed.

Thank you very much for the help and information dikman, Uwe, shoepatcher and Constabulary.

I'm trying to setup a time to meet the owner and look at the machine, I will definitely request to test the machine and find out what it's life has been like.

Thank you again, I really appreciate it.

So I looked at the Singer 153 k 103 sewing machine and decided it wasn't the machine for me. I wasn't able to run the machine because it was in a room that was completely filled with obstacles to get around and it wasn't plugged in but the owner said it ran fine and that he oiled it every time he used it.

I got a different machine instead but thank you all for your help!! I'll probably be asking for more help soon!

Thank you!!