ShunkaWakan

Need Help With Leather Horse Mask Over Horse Skull

I have been thru all the questions on the Getting Started thread first to see if there might be an answer for me first, but didn't find one. So here is the deal and hope I can get some good ideas on how to go about this.

First, I have a horse skull that I've wanted to do something cool with. Decided to do a leather horse mask over it and maybe later carve something into the bone skull too.

I just want to take the correct steps here so that it will be somewhat of a success first time around. lol My piece of leather that I'm working with first is 1 to 2 oz so it is thin compared to leather that is used for many other things. I've learned over the last two years where the leather is "cased" to the exact wetness for carving/stamping. I feel like I should "case" the leather first, and then kinda lay it over the skull to get the eye holes cut out in the right placing. But then I also want to hand carve a design into it. So should I dampen the leather again after I have it cut like I want it? To lay it out flat so that I can do the carving? In the past, I've learned that after carving, then damping it again to fit it over something, I've had to re-do some of the carving because it kinda "faded" away alittle. There will be holes on each side of the leather, so it can be tied in the back of the skull. Thanks for any help or ideas you can give!

I am a beginner, so please take my advice with a grain of salt. For something that is going to be tooled and also formed to shape, you might have to investigate some of the techniques that saddle makers use. Specifically, where they design the swales/forks (is that the right word?). Most tooling is done flat on the table, but for the swales, it is first formed into place then tooled in place on the contours. In your case this means using the skull as your "table" upon which you will be carving & stamping.

I have never made a saddle nor tooled anything on contour. I do NOT speak from experience.

Hey Huffdad! Thanks for your comment! Yeah, I spent about 4 hours looking thru the Saddle Makers area to see what I could find. I was seeing that most all get the leather on first, then carve or stamp. On the object. Carving and stamping might not be too bad on the skull, but I was thinking about hammering on it too. They call it the Forks or Pommel mostly I believe. Or that's what I've been taught. I make Saddles but mine are miniature, like they are only 3 inches long. So mini might be a better word for them. I have trouble trying to cover the "swells" of the forks all in one stretch without the sides having "welts". I'd love to learn how, but don't have a teacher. So see, even thou you say you are a beginner, (and I am too (3 years at it)) I welcome ideas anyway. Think yours is good too. So Thanks! Check out my gallery if ya want. You can see the Saddles I make there.

Building a saddle is my ultimate goal in all this. No one in my area does saddles, but as this is only a hobby for me and not a full business, I've not set a deadine for my goal. I'll get there eventually.

I wonder if there is some way you can makeep a sacrificial mold of some kind. Form & tool, then transfer it to the skull. If that's not an option, maybe there is some way to reinforce the skull on the areas to be tooled. A type of thin metal plate in between? Or perhaps you can tool a small piece then add it to the mask like a badge or patch? Good luck.