ENC

Need Help Identifing This Buckle

A friend has had this "belt" for over 30 years and it was old when she got it at a thrift store. I have looked everywhere I can think of to identify it, but have had no luck ,so I figured I would ask the experts. I am going to make her a new belt for it but I think it looks cool and would like to make some belts with buckles like it to sell. She said it was never brass in color, so I checked it with a magnet and it is magnetic. I also found what I think is an anchor on the back (see 3rd pic). I was thinking it was something to do with tack but now I'm wondering if it is military in origin. If anyone can identify it, has any ideas about its origin or where I might find more please let me know.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Ray

post-26842-0-49215100-1447782366_thumb.j

post-26842-0-55631600-1447782375_thumb.j

post-26842-0-71370400-1447782587_thumb.j

Possibly military.

Break it down into the two component parts; a latch and a ring.

The latch part is very similar to to ones on a pair of canvas WW2 dispatch motorcycle's saddle bags which I once had. The latch was on a strap which was sewn to the bag, and the latch clipped onto a metal frame on the motorcycle. On the ones I had the centre hinged bar was flatter and wider with a wide flattened end for a thumb to press on.

hth

Ask and you shall receive, the anchor stamp was the giveaway.

Do a google image search for "North & Judd tackaberry"

Thank you TinkerTailor, You got it right on the head. In only 24 views, I got my answer. I knew one/all of you had the information somewhere.

Ray

Google has been good to me today..

If you find repops, or a good stash of originals, let me know.

TT was quicker on the trigger. When I was young and stupid (now I'm just stupid) they were quite common, used to be able to cinch a bronc up quick, probably too quick in most cases. They fell out of favor as different kinds of cinch rings became more popular and gentler horses too. This is the first time I've seen it used as a belt buckle. Verrry intelesting!

What is more interesting is the price of them on ebay......I saw some for 50-60 canuck bucks each........I wanted a few till i saw this, now i want lots, but for cheep..

This needs to open a mould. I think at this time you can find it no where

it looks nice , especially in its Vintage way