Chief31794

Springfield Leather, Free Shipping And Great Service

Not sure about everyone elses experience, but I order often from SLC and I wanted to commend them on great service, friendly people, and now they're giving flat rate of $6.00 shipping on orders up to $75.00 and Free shipping for orders over $75.00. If you are looking for a good general leather working supplier, I highly recommend them.

Chief

+1 Chief! Nothing but great service from Kevin and they have a great accounting office. Only one issue and it was fixed right now, on the toll free phone.

jr

The free shipping over $75 is great. I like to order through them and I try to get a large order ready to keep the shipping costs down. That is now much easier to do.

Another plus is if you are an out of state shopper there is no sales tax applied (what I was told when making a phone order).

Hope I get to visit them in person soon.

Never ordered from them, but I have been in the store numerous times as I travel there for business. Great store and even greater, helpful staff.

I LOVE SPRINGFIELD LEATHER!!!

THEY ALWAYS ARE EXTREMELY HELPFUL WITH ANY QUESTION THAT I ASK!!!

IF I NEED SOMETHING THAT THEY DON'T HAVE, THEY TELL ME WHERE I CAN GET IT!!!

I ordered a couple of hides from them on Tuesday. They're always great.

Without being overly specific, I'm odd man out here. I do sometimes order things there, but for leather I prefer to go to W/C (for drum dyed and bridle) or H.0. (for tooling / holsters). Much more consistent orders.. no "oops.. let us fix that ...".

Still, I'd be willing to chip in to have the SCL girls calendar printed up ... : :dunno:

This is a good option. Thinking about looking for a new supplier. What kind of leather are you guys getting from SLC and what do you use it for?

Mike, I've purchased mainly chromexel leathers, culatta and various sides of finished leather. All have been great IMHO. If you visit them they also have a bin chock full of remnants, perfect for small articles. Love scrounging through it. I really like the buffalo culatta. They typically stock it in black, maroon and a distressed version. Made a briefcase out of it and believe it was perfect.

I just returned a hide to my supplier and was told they don't have anything decent right now (not looking to bash anyone so I'll leave their name out of it). So I called SLC and we'll see what I get. Can't be any worse than dealing with what I been dealing with.

I wish I was closer and could look around their store but it's too far so I'll have to live with internet orders.

By the way the shipping thing is a promo until January 31. If it goes well maybe they'll keep it, so go buy some stuff.

Edited by Mike516

I've started buying from SLC and love it. So far the H.O. leather has been great. I needed 3 3/4", 10 oz rounders and no problem. Had them in a few days. The staff is excellent and very helpful. Everything is packed very well, with all liquids lids taped, and double bagged and taped again. Very impressed and they definitely have my business.

Just got done barking at some girl down there. Again. Honestly don't know why I bother ordering leather down there.... but that gal had nothing to do with it and endured me a bit though it wasn't her doing. What AM I missing? Which one (or combination) ...

1.) They don't know leather down there, and are not responsible for what they do.

2.) They DO know leather, but they're thinking that customers DON'T know.

3.) They are aimed at the hobby / cutesy / random customer, and supply to suit that.

4.) They make enough money on the ones that don't know any better - and thus never return it - to cover for some returns without harming the bottom line.

There certainly are more. BUT,

If 1 is true, then I shouldn't order leather there. If 2 is true, and I order there anyway, then perhaps they were correct and I really AM ignorant (I'm not leaning toward this one ;) ). 3 simply isn't me, and 4 is insulting to them AND me ...

I only order leather there when I need a piece or two of something, or something is low. But I think I'm going to go through the records for the year - since it's that time anyway - and see how many I ordered, and out of that how many got returned.

Either way, I don't need landfill material and that girl doesn't need somebody bitchin' at her for something she didn't do ...

I'm sure you will find your answer with some combination of all 4 options. Could be a new employee pulled the order. Could've been in a rush due to the holidays. Could've just been simple mistake.

Not everything I've ordered from them has been what I expected. But they are proving to be more reliable as time goes on. Calling in an order has worked better for me personally.

JLS, the owner of Springfield has more than 40 years experience in the leather business. Call him if you aren't satisfied. You took a great deal of time speculating as to what the problem is. I can assure you they are top notch and deal with professionals as well as hobbyists. Their store is very nice and the folks I've dealt with are off the charts nice and helpful. Many others on this forum agree. I'd call them before questioning their competence, but that's just me. And I mean speak with the owner or a supervisor. They'll be happy to help.

Once, I had a question about a particular project I was working on and the person helping me took me in the back where they make finished goods. She introduced me to a nice young man who literally stopped what he was doing and grabbed a couple of pieces of leather to show me the technique I needed to know. He was happy to help, smile and all. Sorry your experience wasn't better, but give them a chance to fix it.

:rofl:

After 40 years, you don't know better than to send out THIS? Or did you know, but thought I DIDN"T? Wait... seems we've been here before ;) That may work for the hobby "crafter", who has no schedule, or is making a neato project for Mom (she won't mind if you're a bit late. Or a year late).

How long do you let it go, and how many phone calls, before it's just well past time to admit that a new plan is necessary? I booted my first boy's mother after enough conversations that didn't fix the problem ;)

But, try to relax folks. I'm not trying to talk anybody into or outta anything. Next guy, do what you think - no worries here.

Edited by JLSleather

JLS - Great service, prices are well under other companies. They have a deal with UPS to not ding Canadians with brokerage fee. I have noticed they have sold C grade leather as A grade leather. They do ship out a new hide without question everything paid.

Springfield is playing the numbers game. Sending out c grade hides as B grade. B grade as A grade.

David, I'm not sure what that meant ↑

But they called me back ... and we agreed to just return and refund - no replacement. Good to talk for a minute with that girl - so I got the chance to apologize for barking at her for something she wasn't responsible for. For the record, Amanda Sumthing was quite pleasant though she might well have legitimately not been ;)

But I still don't want the leather :rofl: Sad part is, I've been trying to RUN OUT for the year ending, but needed a piece for ONE project. If I could have cut that ONE project (belt anda holster) I would have pitched the rest, or used it to make patterns, whatever...

Edited by JLSleather

Just got done barking at some girl down there. Again. Honestly don't know why I bother ordering leather down there.... but that gal had nothing to do with it and endured me a bit though it wasn't her doing. What AM I missing? Which one (or combination) ...

1.) They don't know leather down there, and are not responsible for what they do.

2.) They DO know leather, but they're thinking that customers DON'T know.

3.) They are aimed at the hobby / cutesy / random customer, and supply to suit that.

4.) They make enough money on the ones that don't know any better - and thus never return it - to cover for some returns without harming the bottom line.

There certainly are more. BUT,

If 1 is true, then I shouldn't order leather there. If 2 is true, and I order there anyway, then perhaps they were correct and I really AM ignorant (I'm not leaning toward this one ;) ). 3 simply isn't me, and 4 is insulting to them AND me ...

I only order leather there when I need a piece or two of something, or something is low. But I think I'm going to go through the records for the year - since it's that time anyway - and see how many I ordered, and out of that how many got returned.

Either way, I don't need landfill material and that girl doesn't need somebody bitchin' at her for something she didn't do ...

David, I'm not sure what that meant ↑

But they called me back ... and we agreed to just return and refund - no replacement. Good to talk for a minute with that girl - so I got the chance to apologize for barking at her for something she wasn't responsible for. For the record, Amanda Sumthing was quite pleasant though she might well have legitimately not been ;)

But I still don't want the leather :rofl: Sad part is, I've been trying to RUN OUT for the year ending, but needed a piece for ONE project. If I could have cut that ONE project (belt anda holster) I would have pitched the rest, or used it to make patterns, whatever...

I understand your frustration, but I honestly feel like SLC is trying to do the right thing. I had a very minor issue with my last order and a 2 minute call got it straightened out right away.

I have had my suspicions that Tandy is doing numbers 3 and 4. I don't know about number 1, but if it's number 2, then shame on them. Definitely some odd stuff going on with their leather, both the size and quality of the stuff. It's too bad too because they're close geographically, which equals convenience and expedience, but when I start to feel like I'm being taken advantage of, I have to call it quits. I'll just keep on top of my supplies and make sure I leave plenty of lead time to place orders.

ordered 3 quarts of ClearLac which is 8 lbs. Cost of shipping $6 since it was over $50.

Arrived in 2 days. Always happy with SLC.

I've been ordering from SLC for 5 years and I have always been satisfied! I live roughly 5 hours from there but I made a trip last year and was given a tour of the place ( It is huge! I believe the back rooms where they custom cut, and ship orders is larger than the showroom, and that's big). They sell exotic remnant hides by the lb. and I have always been impressed with what I get. About half is scrap for me, but the usable stuff big enough for sheaths or holster inlays is way more than enough to pay for itself. I order about 4 times a year and I couldn't be happier! If your picky like me, just give them a call and they will tell you if they have what you want, in the quality you like.