Tallbald

What To Do With Belly Leather Please. Never Used Any, But Some's Coming

Up to last week, I had always ordered hides with the belly cut away before shipping. I am trying a new hide supplier though, and what it amounts to is this: the cost to cut away the belly on a per foot basis cancels out any savings I would see by not paying for the belly leather in the first place. The hide is to be holstered so maybe that will affect the usefulness of the belly leather, but I don;'t know much about belly leather except that it isn't good for my holsters of belts.

Can belly hide be used for small purses, pouches and cases? I have I expect 5-6 square feet of belly coming. I'd appreciate suggestions.

Thanks. Don.

The characteristics of belly leather that people do not like is that it is soft and stretchy. This makes it fine for some styles of bags and pocket items where some give won't hurt. What I love it for is wet molding, possibles pouches, other molded cases, and masks.

Edited by Glendon

I'm a big fan of W/C leathers, but the belly is great for trash can lining (and that's about it). Incidentally, if that's the co you're referrring to, it IS cheaper to have the belly removed (buying backs).

I'll try some possibles pouches and small bags. I've never shied away from a challenge, and wet molding is nice. I was taught that a good craftsman could make something nice from a less than pristine material. It's a matter of skills I guess.Thanks all. Don.

Edited by Tallbald

S'pose I'll jus' hafta keep on practicin' :dunno:

Here's my list of uses.

rough patterns to not waste good leather.

washers or spacers

great for cutting into pieces to spread contact cement

occasionally pocket holsters or pocket mag holders if it's not fleshy

daughters hair stick holders

testing dye

personal gear I don't want to waste good leather on

sometimes mouth reinforcements, clip covers, or welts

Let's face it, even a master craftsman can't make something nice out of junk. They use the good stuff. Save what you think you might use later. Throw out the stuff that's just junk. You should be able to tell the difference. FWIW, there is some leather between a back and the fleshy belly stuff that's just a bit thinner but still usable.

yeah thats why i have too much scrap each year..... can't bring myself to throw away anything. well anything over 1/2 inch

Thanks. I can see several applications for belly leather. I use my premium hide sections for my holsters and belts,always carefully selecting and hand cutting my straps, holster parts, and creating my own patterns. The "holstering" of the hide may make working characteristics better initially. I'll just have to experiment.

I use scraps too small for bigger and better items to make key chains, bracelets and such that sell at area tourist and novelty type stores and help generate income rather than throwing them out. Hair sticks are a good idea too ChiefJason. I admire your creative uses Glendon and ChiefJason. I too would toss any really fleshy sections. I have too much stock and too little space to keep junk leather around.

For some time I've had in mind wet molded possibles bags for black powder shooters--the characteristics of belly leather might be in keeping with the application.

Thank again all for the good ideas. Don

Edited by Tallbald

There are some folks that use bellies for economy horse halters.

Mail order bellys i would never do, However in person, when going through the stack, i flip them all over and look for smooth back. Depending on what they are from, sometimes due to hide shape there is quite a bit of good leather that stuck down below the straight edge of the bend that was cut off. This stuff is great for molding smaller projects from. I usually find maybe 2-4 out of a stack of 10 that are worth buying. I have made some nice stuff out bellys. This is from a belly:

post-60185-0-04827600-1433125146_thumb.j
post-60185-0-44185200-1433125141_thumb.j
post-60185-0-06654300-1433125149_thumb.j
It is a bicycle lock holster. Sold for $200. Took me 5 hours. $20 dollar belly , 2.50 for clasp.
Btw, got 2 more fronts out of same belly
Bellys don't pay eh?
Edited by TinkerTailor

I'm pleased to receive some belly leather. I believe that practice and determination along with skill brought forward will let me craft useful, desirable items that folks will be pleased to have. Again, it's a matter of skills developed using imperfect materials. It speaks to the expertise of the leather worker.Thank you for the inspiration. Beautiful results. And it shows you are quite the craftsperson..I disregard naysayers. Don.

Edited by Tallbald

I've got a question: Would the belly leather make a good lining for a holster? If it was glued to a firm outer layer with the grain side towards the firearm, seems like it would make a good lining and stretch wouldn't be a problem.

Long as it's fairly decent looking, I'm gonna say you're right, Bob.

I order without the belly portion (except bridle leather, I aint sure why ;) ). And in those small pre-cut things in one of the stores, I advertise it as "no belly leather"! That way, me and some others with basically no skills have SOME hope of putting out one decent project :blush:

Edited by JLSleather

Bob I like your idea. I see great possibilities for lining say, folding knife sheaths, and not having to use pigskin but rather the belly hide. The flexibility of the belly, as long as it was not too wrinkled would let it conform to the outer layer well maybe. Same principle as using it for the beautiful bicycle chain holster just formed inward. Experimentation will show.

My hide did arrive and I'm pleased with the whole skin. The belly is firm yet flexible. Glad I bought it instead of paying them the same amount to remove it before shipping. I expect it will indeed give me an opportunity to acquire new skills in working with this portion of the leather.

Thank you for the idea. Don.

Edited by Tallbald

Bob I like your idea. I see great possibilities for lining say, folding knife sheaths, and not having to use pigskin but rather the belly hide. The flexibility of the belly, as long as it was not too wrinkled would let it conform to the outer layer well maybe. Same principle as using it for the beautiful bicycle chain holster just formed inward. Experimentation will show.

My hide did arrive and I'm pleased with the whole skin. The belly is firm yet flexible. Glad I bought it instead of paying them the same amount to remove it before shipping. I expect it will indeed give me an opportunity to acquire new skills in working with this portion of the leather.

Thank you for the idea. Don

Bellys stretch but also tend to squish more as well. Because the belly when used as a lining will squish and conform to the item better than the backside of stiff veg, it may help with retention as an added bonus.

TinkerTailor I hadn't thought of that. I appreciate your sharing. I wonder if the squishing to conform to the shape relaxes back over time if the item is not in the holster? Or would it basically retain the squished contour? I love the toughness and resilience of leather. The belly sounds for all intents and purposes to be a very useful portion of the hide. Again, I'm glad I made the wise business and crafting decision to accept the belly hide. I just need to develop the skill set to learn its use.

Thanks as always. Don

I know this post is old but I make small cases, sheaths, stitching horse pads, low cost holsters, drink holders for bikes. There are all kinds of things to be made with bellies! In the old days waste was not wanted, today most folks want the prettiest leather used on places it won't ever be seen, that's stupid in my eyes! Try making things out of it, I'm sure you will be pleased

This is what I do, but to each his own.  I buy Wickett&Craig utility grade saddle skirting and have it split to 7/8 oz.  I buy five colors.  When the sides arrive I "square up the side", (Cut of the belly leather) and run it through My Cobra 14 splitter taking it down to about 2 OZ., which I then use for linings my custom sheaths etc.  I have found the top grain of belly leather is for the most part equal to the top grain anywhere else on the side.  This means I no longer have to have additional sides split to 2/3OZ. so my overall inventory of leather has gone to about half, and I don't have trash cans full of belly leather.

It works fine for me, you are welcome to try it too!

Paul