eddiekazan

Sewing Machine Singer Heavy Duty 4432

Dear Colleaugues,

Now I'm thinking to buy my first sewing machine. I'am basing in Canberra and sewing machines Techsew, Cobra, Tippmann are not available on australian market. Could someone tell me something about sewing machine Singer Heavy Duty 4432? Is this machine real heavy duty or it is just a marketing trick? I want to try to use it for sewing wallets or bags using veg tan leather or chrome or oil tanned leather.

Your help would be highly appreciated!

That Singer machine is just a plastic body household garment machine for sewing light material with thin thread. It may survive a dozen wallets, then break down.

You have a Cowboy dealer, who also sells all manner of industrial leather capable sewing machines, in Australia. I'll search the posts in this forum and post who it is when I find him.

That didn't take me very long. Your official Cowboy Sewing Machines dealer/distributor in Australia, is a member here, named Singermania. He is one of the few people to ask about real industrial leather sewing machines down under. Darren Brosowski is another and is also a member here.

That Singer machine is just a plastic body household garment machine for sewing light material with thin thread. It may survive a dozen wallets, then break down.

You have a Cowboy dealer, who also sells all manner of industrial leather capable sewing machines, in Australia. I'll search the posts in this forum and post who it is when I find him.

Thank you for your information. The problem is that the prices in Au are ridiculous. And I think Cowboy will cost a lot of money.

Thank you for your information. The problem is that the prices in Au are ridiculous. And I think Cowboy will cost a lot of money.

They both also sell Singer and other brands that cost less. When it comes to sewing leather, you get what you pay for. Singermania sells the Cowboy CB3200, which is a mid-priced stitcher capable of sewing 1/2 inch of real leather, with #415 thread. You have little to lose by asking him, or Darren, what they can do for you that will fit your budget.

Darren Brosowski also does business as Anne Bonnys Locker.

Thank you Sir!!!

Thank you Sir!!!

You're welcome. If you save up and buy the right machine the first time, you'll have fewer regrets.

BTW: If you do buy a Cowboy machine from Darren Brosowski or Singermania Steve, they warranty and service them in Australia. They will assist you with the learning curve and hiccups that happens to first time leather sewers.

Hi mate,

I am based in Goulburn so I am just up the road.

There are a number of reasons for the US and Australian price differences and they have nothing to do with profit. Like the US dealers Steve (Singermania) and I both fully assemble and test the machines before delivery.

As the $AU is now below $US0.70 the $A cost is higher.

Australian ports are the most expensive in the western world and the additional processing and customs charges are staggering.

It costs about $US40 per cubic meter to ship from China but the freight from the port to a nearby wharehouse is about $US60 per cubic meter.

Feel free to call me. Before I even try to sell a machine I am going to ask lots of questions about the sort of work you do now and what you want to do in the future.

0415 353 748

Thanks Wiz.

People seem to forget that the backup and help can be worth more than the machine when you are trying to do production work.

You're welcome. If you save up and buy the right machine the first time, you'll have fewer regrets.

BTW: If you do buy a Cowboy machine from Darren Brosowski or Singermania Steve, they warranty and service them in Australia. They will assist you with the learning curve and hiccups that happens to first time leather sewers.

Eddie, you can pick up suitable used machines on Gumtree, BUT you need to know what you're doing. There are a myriad of "industrial" sewing machines out there, but the vast majority aren't suitable for sewing the sort of leather that we want to use. You really do need, as a minimum, a walking foot machine, ideally with a servo motor if you can afford it. If it's not a walking foot then don't consider it.

It's quite a steep learning curve, for a newcomer, to come to grips with understanding industrial leather sewing machines. (Personal experience talking here). I was given a Singer, and then bought another used Singer and a Pfaff. I have spent a considerable amount of time (and some money) since then to get them to what I consider a usable stage. Now, I'm quite happy to do this, because I like tinkering, but this is what can happen when buying used.

Also, some used machines have ridiculous prices attached to them (these are usually the ones that remain unsold).

Yes, new machines are pretty expensive here (compared to o/s) but at least you will be getting a machine that will work without having to spend time and money sorting it out and will be a known quantity in what it can do. Plus, if you should have issues then you'll have expert help to sort it out, unlike used where you're basically on your own.