Uwe

Show & Tell: Flatbed Table Attachment For Durkopp Adler 205-370 (Version 2.0)

I'm finalizing details on my all-new and actually affordable design for a flatbed table attachment for Durkopp Adler 205-370 sewing machines and their copies. Version 1.0 was machined from a big chunk of solid aluminum and cost a small fortune to make. It'll also take off a toe if you drop it on your foot.

This version 2.0 uses more affordable, yet extremely durable materials and I'll make a few extras for sale.

I discovered phenolic plywood a few weeks ago and love it (say "Phenomenal Phenolic Plywood" ten times really fast, haha!) Anyways, phenolic plywood and stainless steel metal hardware make a great combination for functionality, durability, and good looks - in my mind at least.

I'll post proper glamour shots and add it to my ebay store over the weekend. Here are a few preview shots for now:

post-56402-0-92870300-1448034851_thumb.jpost-56402-0-94798200-1448034860_thumb.jpost-56402-0-72031100-1448034868_thumb.jpost-56402-0-88602200-1448034880_thumb.jpost-56402-0-74443300-1448034890_thumb.j

Edited by Uwe

wow thats great I live close to you... and well i should try and make something like that to fit my cylinder bed machine.

Excellent job

lew

A few more shots for the LW archives:

post-56402-0-08114600-1448208466_thumb.jpost-56402-0-14500800-1448208474_thumb.jpost-56402-0-89412600-1448208481_thumb.jpost-56402-0-91477100-1448208489_thumb.jpost-56402-0-32578500-1448208498_thumb.jpost-56402-0-65572800-1448208506_thumb.jpost-56402-0-97938600-1448208513_thumb.jpost-56402-0-13934700-1448208522_thumb.jpost-56402-0-72815100-1448208529_thumb.j

Does it have that phenolic smell when you machine it? Never seen that stuff, like to find a bit locally to check it out.

No smell at all from the phenolic resin. It's all cured by the time I get my hands on it and carving it is fine, too. The material is hard to find, actually. Normally it's used to make router tables, jigs, and table saw tops, where you need something very hard and slippery to withstand material being dragged across it all day. I discovered it by chance at my local WoodCraft shop, where it's rather expensive. For my actual production work stock, I ended up driving an hour one way to Toledo where a specialty wood supply store carries this stuff at a more reasonable price and in the sizes I need, albeit in only one color.

Edited by Uwe

When i was thinking about this, i contemplated veneering something like this ply myself, I do have connections in the canoe and kayak building world for materials. Perhaps i should just get some scraps and cut-offs and lay up an ultralight kevlar/carbon/ flattop for myself.... Machine weighs 200 lbs,.... flat top, 200g........It would be an excuse to build the vacuum press i have had in the back of my head.

Oh my, how projects breed projects.........such is life.

The 441 version of the flatbed table attachment is next (and probably last) on my list of table attachment projects. I'll do it in January/February - if I get access to an actual 441 class machine, that is. Anybody in the Detroit area have a Juki 441 or clone for me to take some measurements on and do a couple fit & function tests? (you get to keep one of the prototypes!)

The 441 version of the flatbed table attachment is next (and probably last) on my list of table attachment projects. I'll do it in January/February - if I get access to an actual 441 class machine, that is. Anybody in the Detroit area have a Juki 441 or clone for me to take some measurements on and do a couple fit & function tests? (you get to keep one of the prototypes!)

That would be me Uwe. I have a CB 4500.

That would be perfect, Joe - thanks for offering! I'll count you in.

Looks great!

I would love to help you make one if you would like help... this way I can learn so I can make 1 for my machine.

Could you tell me the name of the wood store in toledo?

thanks

Lew

The wood supply store in Toledo where I got the phenolic plywood is called Kencraft Company . They ship wood boards in various sizes as well.

The helping opportunities pretty much boil down to granting access to the machine for measuring and a couple prototype fittings. The rest happens with me brooding over a computer in CAD programs and beating the various CNC machines into submission to give me what I want. The pictures should tell much of the story regarding engineering concepts and which of several possible attachment options I chose.

Finishing the parts and assembly happens in my home workshop. I've considered making kits available with just the parts as they come out of the CNC machines for folks to finish and assemble it themselves, but I'd likely spend more time answering questions and walking folks through the details remotely than doing it myself.

Perhaps I'll create a little "making of" video some time to show the steps involved in making these table attachments. The apparent simplicity of the final product may be deceiving. It all seems very obvious and simple when you see the finished product, but the process of getting there often is anything but obvious or simple.

Edited by Uwe

I would be in for a table to fit my Cowboy 3200 if you go that direction.........

You can also buy bake lite sheets from McMaster-Carr sold as Garokite and make your own plywood laminate. Those laminated table tops are great though. I use them for my router tables.

You can also buy bake lite sheets from McMaster-Carr sold as Garokite and make your own plywood laminate. Those laminated table tops are great though. I use them for my router tables.

Thanks for the tip..

One of my original plans was to glue some white melamine (formica) sheet to marine plywood before carving it. Turns out finding just the melamine (not a ready-made particleboard countertop) turns out to be even harder than finding phenolic plywood. Oddly enough, there's a Toledo Plywood specialty store practically next door to the Kencraft store and it had a big stack of white melamine sheets. But in the end the phenolic plywood was the better choice for me because it involves considerably less labor (less glueing, clamping, waiting) and the phenolic is a better, ready-made surface in my mind.

One of my original plans was to glue some white melamine (formica) sheet to marine plywood before carving it. Turns out finding just the melamine (not a ready-made particleboard countertop) turns out to be even harder than finding phenolic plywood. Oddly enough, there's a Toledo Plywood specialty store practically next door to the Kencraft store and it had a big stack of white melamine sheets. But in the end the phenolic plywood was the better choice for me because it involves considerably less labor (less glueing, clamping, waiting) and the phenolic is a better, ready-made surface in my mind.

In the past, I've bought plain melamine sheets and high pressure laminate sheets from home depot, but I haven't looked in a few years.

Nice top,

Was thinking about making one for my cobra out of Corian, with stainless or aluminum plates at the needle area, have a bunch of leftovers from a couple jobs, easy to fix mistakes in the construction

Is this something you could still make? Please let me know!