l2bravo

Hide House

I buy my double shoulders from them all the time. Always nice hides, smooth back, and very clean.

I've only ever bought chap leather from them, but it has always been true to color as represented on their swatch cards, and nice clean spready hides.

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

Just received premium double shoulder veg tan. Very good people and I am very happy with the piece I received.......

I've ordered a lot of English kip that I use to make inner soles and the vegan tooling leather for leather goods. but I treated the vegan after dying with meletonian Polish and fiebings wax to soften it a bit as it was a little stiff at the start.

good people good leather. I get lost there sometimes.

I recommend Hide House.

I created a new product for a company when I was in the USA . I ordered leather from them and found them to be a good helpful company.

Since this first order I have created another new product for the same company. They now order regular from HideHouse and never had a problem. I should add that this is a lot of leather and no problem from any of it.

I've bought most of my leather from them for a couple of years. They shipped the wrong leather a while back and bent over backwards to make it right. Top notch people!

Edited by Lassiter

Have to agree with the general consensus. They are great people! First hide I bought came in wrong because the sample was labeled wrong. They took care of it right away, and that was right after the earthquake! Highly reccomend.

On 11/25/2015 at 8:27 PM, gmace99 said:

I created a new product for a company when I was in the USA . I ordered leather from them and found them to be a good helpful company.

Since this first order I have created another new product for the same company. They now order regular from HideHouse and never had a problem. I should add that this is a lot of leather and no problem from any of it.

when you ordered from them did you get it sent to the uk or usa 

20 minutes ago, hickok55 said:

when you ordered from them did you get it sent to the uk or usa 

I visit The Hide House quite often and see that they ship leather all over the world. 

thank you

1 minute ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I visit The Hide House quite often and see that they ship leather all over the world. 

thankyou

Edited by hickok55

53 minutes ago, Squilchuck said:

I buy chap leather and HO veg tan leather regularly. Great quality and service.  I highly recommend.  -John         

I think I will probably buy a veg tanned bison side from them as long as the shipping is not too much

I don't think you'll get a pair of chaps from one side. You'll probably need one for each leg. The sq. footage of the side vs the sq. feet in your pattern are meaningless. The footage of the side is ALL of it, including those areas that won't work for your project. Legs, flank, neck etc.

55 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

I don't think you'll get a pair of chaps from one side. You'll probably need one for each leg. The sq. footage of the side vs the sq. feet in your pattern are meaningless. The footage of the side is ALL of it, including those areas that won't work for your project. Legs, flank, neck etc.

oh what part of the hide would you suggest ?

Your pattern will probably go right in the middle of the side. But in going to Hide house and doing a search for 'veg tan bison', they are selling the whole hide, 40-45 sq ft. That should be more than enough. But it will also cost you about $300 before shipping and all fees and surcharges.

13 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

Your pattern will probably go right in the middle of the side. But in going to Hide house and doing a search for 'veg tan bison', they are selling the whole hide, 40-45 sq ft. That should be more than enough. But it will also cost you about $300 before shipping and all fees and surcharges.

would a double shoulder be enough for one chap leg

3 hours ago, hickok55 said:

would a double shoulder be enough for one chap leg

The 'whole hide' IS a double side. And will be more than enough for a PAIR of chaps. I really, really, REALLY have to ask what you know of leather working. Do you have an inkling of what you are doing? Or did you come up with this idea and charge full speed ahead? Not to belittle, but you are asking questions that even the rankest beginner knows. Before you spend hundreds of dollars, you really need to have an understanding of the craft.

22 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

The 'whole hide' IS a double side. And will be more than enough for a PAIR of chaps. I really, really, REALLY have to ask what you know of leather working. Do you have an inkling of what you are doing? Or did you come up with this idea and charge full speed ahead? Not to belittle, but you are asking questions that even the rankest beginner knows. Before you spend hundreds of dollars, you really need to have an understanding of the craft.

i have a good understanding of the craft. with some of the questions i'm just double checking but i have never work with leather. i intend to start with a belt before i embark on making chaps. also some people have said that you can make two legs out of one side 25 sqft.

Edited by hickok55

There is no way to make a pair out of one side! If it was a RECTANGLE of 3x8, you MIGHT pull it off. But a 25sq ft side has too much unusable footage to do that. There is no cheap way to what you want to do.

16 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

There is no way to make a pair out of one side! If it was a RECTANGLE of 3x8, you MIGHT pull it off. But a 25sq ft side has too much unusable footage to do that. There is no cheap way to what you want to do.

They's a video by spring field leather company where they make chaps out of a side. what count's as unusable footage because if you mean scars and brands i don't mind.

Edited by hickok55

It really helped me to look at Springfield Leather’s online catalog on selecting leather. It shows the shape of double shoulders, sides, etc. with a grid on them to kinda see width and length.