YinTx

Help Me Learn How To Use My European Stitching Clam!

Not so sure where to post this, but I thought I'd start here:

So I just got my hands on this stitching clam that came from Scotland as far as I know. It is different from the Vergez Blanchard style in that it has no hinge, and it has a ring and an opening which I presume is for a strap. I don't believe the two screws in the side are original, but for all I know they could be something that should be there. At any rate, I don't really know how to use this style of clam, or how you would attach a strap and use it. I was hoping to use it without a strap, as it would allow me to use it on items that are really large. Any help I can get would be much appreciated, what I would really like to see is someone that has one like this demonstrate in a youtube video, but I'll take any info/photos etc. that I can get! Thanks in advance,

YinTx

post-57438-0-96483500-1448339749_thumb.j

other photos in my gallery here: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=2597

To use this type of saddler's clam you sit on a stool or chair and hold the clam between your knees

I can't quite tell from the picture, but you should pad or line the end of the jaws with leather to avoid marking your workpiece and also to provide more friction

If it does not grip sufficiently tightly you can fit a nut & bolt through the arms, only as tight as is necessary to provide a grip; but try to manage without.

Or you could use a stap and foot loop

This video on YouTube shows how to make one. It doesn't show how to use it, but it is useful background

'Making a Traditional Saddler's Clam' by Harry Rogers

This video shows a clam in use

'Hand Stitching Leather' by Leather Courses Britain

You should have already marked yor leather with a pricking iron or stitching chisel

This website shows a saddler's clam in use http://saddlerycourses.com click on 'tools for sale'

If you can't use it, I'll have it!

Edited by zuludog

I will check out all the links and videos. I've seen the clams being used without the strap and stirrup, but never one with it. and was wondering if the two screws in the body were original or added after. The photos in the gallery are more clear. I do hand stitching already, but with a regular stitching horse. It does not work well for really large items, so I was hoping this would fit the bill. I had been looking far and wide for one, and had this one shipped from Scotland, so I don't plan to sell, thanks for the offer. :)

This one does have leather already on the ends, but may need to be replaced. If the screws in the body are added and not original, and thus have already ruined the antique value of the clams, I will probably just refinish it, since it looks like a nice birdseye patterned wood.

YinTx

Sell....sell?! Who said anything about buying it?!

I'm sure that once you've tidied it up and practiced a bit you'll produce some good work

Best Wishes Zuludog

Zuludog I would sell you a set of clams but I cant I think I only have about 30 pairs in the workshop.

I read this post last night and as I am not the best at typing explanations I found it easier to do this youtube video for you. I did the video fast so prob not the greatest but I think you can get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM34KJRupGE

Zuludog I would sell you a set of clams but I cant I think I only have about 30 pairs in the workshop.

I read this post last night and as I am not the best at typing explanations I found it easier to do this youtube video for you. I did the video fast so prob not the greatest but I think you can get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM34KJRupGE

Funny, i found this video this morning in my youtube feed and i thought it was the perfect video to post here, then i watched it and saw that you created it just for this thread....

Btw, I really appreciate your videos. I love all the shortcuts you have from years of experience. Alot of these techniques are going to be lost to time very soon. Particularly the pearl glue edging, and the english point round knife trick, both are great. I also like that you do not mess around. The 4 foot long strop is awesome. Why make it small when your arm stroke is close to 4 feet. Maximizing efficiency.

Keep sharing and i will keep learning.. Thanx.,

TT

I am glad it helped. The clam video could have been better. It was rushed as I had a meeting in the afternoon.

I aim to do more videos. The problem I have is deciding what to record because I have been doing it for years it is easy for me and I am always thinking would people think I was treating them as fools showing something that is easy. I do know when you are starting out its all hard. That's why I do it

Zuludog,

Wow, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much. It might be easy, but if you are missing the parts and have never seen one in use, gets kinda difficult all of a sudden. Your video brought it back to the "easy" realm, so I really appreciate it! If someone already knows how to do something, they can move on to the next video, and you won't insult them. The rest of us can learn something, so please feel free to make and post all the videos you want!

YinTx