George3

Which Machine

Hello everyone,

Im looking to buy a new or used machine for sewing canvas, heavy cordura and such. I have a Adler 205-370 and its a pain to reset the machine every time you need to switch to a much lighter thread.

I'm looking at the Juki DNU1541, Consew 206RB and the Consew Premier P1206RB.

they all look good and from what I gather The Juki is most likely the best choice even though the Consew Premier looks like a good value.

My concern with the P1206 Premier would be the automatic oiler at slow speeds.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance,

George

Unionlevelleather.com

I sew leather and waxed canvas with my consew 206 RB5 no problem.

No experience with the other machines, but the consew 206 will sew through canvas and cordura like butter.

There was a long thread not long ago about the other consew and being able to oil at slow speeds. Folks with experience with the machine said sewing slow wasn't an issue.

Edited by Colt W Knight

my 1206 oils fine at slow speed.

Can you verify that oil flows all the way to the ends of the wicks? Are the crankshafts inside the head getting oil from the pump system? What speed range do you usually sew at (stitches per second or per minute)?

Hey Wiz,

I'm leaning towards the Juki, the Consew's start at about $1000 to $1400 and the Juki is around $1500, In for a penny, in for a pound!

I like the fact that the Juki is made in Japan rather than China appeals to me.

The Premier series seems to be made for a price point, I'm sure it's a great machine, but?

I need a machine for sewing multiple layers of Canvas, Light leather and Cordura.

Do you have any suggestions on another model that might serve me well?

What do you think of the new Consew 206RB 5?

Thanks again for all you knowledge it's been helpful.

George

unionlevelleather

Since you are also open to a *used* machine, don't overlook the Japanese-made offerings such as the older Consew 206RB* as well. There are several makes and models of "classic" walking foot machines in this general class, by Singer, Seiko, Brother, Mitsubishi, Juki, Nakajima and others, as well as excellent first class machines from Pfaff, Durkop/Adler etc. All will serve well for anything under 3/8" of Cordura and webbing, and generally handle thread sizes from T45 to T135, with many able to handle T210. Expect to pay more for the less commonly available accessories for the German machines.....the most bang for the buck is found with machines that share some comparability with the Singer 111w family. A good example of any of these machines, treated with respect, will last a generation.

My Chinese-made 206RB-5 has been problem-free to date, and seems quite mannerly. I would personally lean towards the new Juki if my budget allowed.

-DC

Wiz, yes, the oil has the wicks wet in the head and I can see oil in the clear tube that oils the bottom part of the head. I sew as slow as 2 stitches a second. but very seldom faster than the lowest setting on the servo. There is a simple little by pass valve on the pump and it is completely closed for slow speed sewing. This needs to be opened up to about 1/2 if you sew faster as it will over oil everything. the hook lube is adjustable. The external walking foot cranks still need to be oiled by hand. I have 2 other pumpers that do not oil well at slower speeds but the 1206 oils well at very low speed. Most of the main shafts are hollow and have felt plugs in the ends. if you touch them you get oil on your finger. I know this is not in line with your experience of pumpers but this one seems to work at slow speed.

Since you are also open to a *used* machine, don't overlook the Japanese-made offerings such as the older Consew 206RB* as well. There are several makes and models of "classic" walking foot machines in this general class, by Singer, Seiko, Brother, Mitsubishi, Juki, Nakajima and others, as well as excellent first class machines from Pfaff, Durkop/Adler etc. All will serve well for anything under 3/8" of Cordura and webbing, and generally handle thread sizes from T45 to T135, with many able to handle T210. Expect to pay more for the less commonly available accessories for the German machines.....the most bang for the buck is found with machines that share some comparability with the Singer 111w family. A good example of any of these machines, treated with respect, will last a generation.

My Chinese-made 206RB-5 has been problem-free to date, and seems quite mannerly. I would personally lean towards the new Juki if my budget allowed.

Thanks for the input DC, I'm leaning towards the Juki, buy the right one the first time!

As you well know there are not many bargains out there, I watch Craig's list just about every day and hen you do find one they are in the 6-9 hundred dollar range, so, might as well buy new.

I started sewing with a cowboy and it was a good machine with spectacular support.

I sold that and bought a Durkopp 205-370 and never looked back!

So, I'll most likely get the Juki, just looking for the "right price "

I'm in Union Level Va right outside of South Hill, sort of your neighbor

-DC

Wiz, yes, the oil has the wicks wet in the head and I can see oil in the clear tube that oils the bottom part of the head. I sew as slow as 2 stitches a second. but very seldom faster than the lowest setting on the servo. There is a simple little by pass valve on the pump and it is completely closed for slow speed sewing. This needs to be opened up to about 1/2 if you sew faster as it will over oil everything. the hook lube is adjustable. The external walking foot cranks still need to be oiled by hand. I have 2 other pumpers that do not oil well at slower speeds but the 1206 oils well at very low speed. Most of the main shafts are hollow and have felt plugs in the ends. if you touch them you get oil on your finger. I know this is not in line with your experience of pumpers but this one seems to work at slow speed.

This is valuable information. Thanks for posting it. Perhaps other manufacturers will eventually upgrade their self-oilers to pump at slow speeds. I guess it would be a good idea if the oil flow adjuster is external and labeled (more/less, or slow/fast), rather than hidden on the bottom. Is yours under or on the outside of the machine?

tip the machine back on the peg and it's right in front of you on the bottom of the pump. no tools needed just swing it open or closed with your finger. the hook lube adjuster is also on the bottom to the right of the hook shaft bearing. It is marked small or big, both adjustments are clearly covered in the manual (pg. 12 and 13).

Edited by pcox

A Big Thank you to all for the input on which machine to buy.

This morning I bit the bullet and bought a Consew RB 206-5 from Zamir sewing machine company in California.

I spoke with Zamir for close to an hour and he informed me of the differences on all the machines I was interested in, at length.

Basically they all do the same job, he said the Juki and the Cosew are the workhouse machines and I couldn't go wrong with either.

The consew left over 300.00 to buy accessories over the Juki.

I think I made a good decision, (you know how artists are at making decisions;-)

I would tell anyone interested in buying to call Zamir, he sure helped make it easy.

Thanks again,

George

My 206 is a killer machine, and its a206 rb-1, so its been working hard for decades.

Well George how about bringing us up to date on your search and maybe purchase of a machine . I would like to know as I am now going thru the same thinking about what machine to buy and who to buy from.

meant to say tell us about your buy. Are you happy with it now after several months of having it.

Well now!

I purchased a Consew 206RB5,

It's a nice machine, I can be fussy about equipment and I haven't seen the Juki or the Premier series to be able to compare.

The Consew was supposed to come all set up, it didn't!

The finish on the machine, well, chipped paint, the table that came with it, well that's on the flimsy side.

I spent a day setting it up with a couple of calls to Zamir. He sent me some photos to help assemble.

Now on to the sewing,

On the slowest speed I couldn't make it crawl and I might add I don't know how anyone could sew on the highly speed, it can fly!

I was sewing some heavy Cordura and when I started on a hemmed seam sometimes I had to help it along as it didn't have enough torque to penetrate the seam, so no power at slow speed.

Then after reading many posts I called Bob Kovar at Toledo Sewing and bought a speed reducer.

Now, the machine does everything you could ask it to, with plenty of low end torque and still all the speed and more that I could ask for.

In my opinion, I think it's a great machine, but still shows signs of being a Chinese built machine.

I hear all the machines, Juki, Consew's etc. are all made in China.

I have a bigger Durkopp Adler 205/370 and you can see the difference in workmanship but you'll have to pay almost 5 times the price.

Bottom line is I'm happy with the machine the way it is now.

George