SLP

Completed My Firs Holster

Finaly, after way too long, completed my first holster/leather project. I started with of of those Realeather holster kits my wife bought me. I only ended up using the main leather piece from the kit. Tooled with the basic set. Leather sheen to resist the edges and initials. I used th Eco Flo anique gel (saddle tan and briar brown mix.) I lined it with 2-3oz. Set the stitches in a groove on both sides and pierced the holes with a piercing awl. Hand stitched with #554 bonded nylon (off white.) Bunished/slicked edges with the hand slicker tool from Tandy. And finish coats with the same leather sheen. Thanks to JLS Leather and many others on this forum for all of their helpful tips. I really want to do a pancake holster next. Any critique or tips you guys have for me would be greatly appreciated.

post-66751-0-76883600-1448692539_thumb.j

post-66751-0-07417200-1448692567_thumb.j

post-66751-0-72334200-1448692910_thumb.j

post-66751-0-88360600-1448693505_thumb.j

post-66751-0-70400700-1448693518_thumb.j

post-66751-0-19359300-1448693528_thumb.j

Edited by SLP

Hey SLP!

First, from a leather working perspective, the tooling, finishing, and edges are far better than on the first holster I made some 35 years ago! From the perspective of a retired Law Enforcement Officer, combat shooter and Firearms Instructor, the most important recommendation I can make is to re-design the throat of your holster (around the top and down to where it joins the seam) so that the firearm sits higher. You want to be able to grip the weapon in the holster with a shooting grip, and not have to adjust your grip after you draw the firearm. As you can see, your fingers will not fit around the grip behind the trigger guard as the firearm currently sits.

Hope this helps, and again, that's an outstanding first attempt!

Mikw

Thanks Mike. I agree. The holster is anything but pragmatic. The design does not seem to have been well thought out. Besides the lack of space for a decent firing grip, the way they have the retention strap connect to the less than adequate belt loop really bums me out. However, I'm not out of leather, and I have the tools to create another and another. If I don't try to create my own pattern I may borrow one of JLS Leather's. At first I was really bummed about how the retention strap was pointed as if is should go over the grip safety (not evan a usable design for a 1911, ugh), but I just got it wet and helped it go elswhere. It's not pretty, but it'll do the job. I'll just make another holster and move on. I really do appreciate the feedback Mike. Thanks again.

[. Bnk (ll

B,' b'b nn b b hoIjmm

, quote name=SLP" post="436929" timestamp="1448723739]

Thanks Mike. I agree. The holster is anything but pragmatic. The design does not seem to have been well thought out. Besides the lack of space for a decent firing grip, the way they have the retention strap connect to the less than adequate belt loop really bums me out. However, I'm not out of leather, and I have the tools to create another and another. If I don't try to create my own pattern I may borrow one of JLS Leather's. At first I was really bummed about how the retention strap was pointed as if is should go over the grip safety (not evan a usable design for a 1911, ugh), but I just got it wet and helped it go elswhere. It's not pretty, but it'll do the job. I'll just make another holster and move on. I really do appreciate the feedback Mike. Thanks again.

Nice work

Edited by glockanator

Well if that is your first holster I think i am going to sell all my tools for a dollar and take up drinking for a new hobby. My first attempt at a holster was not anywhere the quality of yours. That is really nice work.

rick

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the positive comments.