jhstong

Difference Between These Seiko-Cw 8B's

I am able to get these two seikos. They are the same model CW-8b, but look completely different. Is one better than the other? They come with the same setup (table, servo motor), but the machine on the bottom that is darker is less than half the price of the white version pictured on top.

Thanks!

post-66490-0-36759400-1448701979_thumb.j

Edited by jhstong

You're awesome. Still wonder if reverse is worth 750 extra though. Thanks!

Thats a big difference. If the reverse if set up well and stitches go in the same hole as forward it´s a nice feature but on the other hand $750 is a lot of money. Your decision. For $750 you can buy a lot of other tools for your business.

I think the coolness of the badges and info plates on the older unit adds some points in my book.

Its like an old car. No stickers. Just real badges. I hate stickers. Real badges are actually pretty cheap to make, and don't add very much at all to machine cost, but add alot of class. Stickers are no-class.

I know, I know this is an industrial machine, and looks are not important, yadda yadda. In a factory setting sewing the same seam over and over all day, this is true.

In my one man shop, everything I look at is either a source of inspiration or distraction. I need to be inspired by my surroundings.

Classic well built machines and tools, from a time when companies were proud to put their names on their products in chrome are inspiring to me. Even if it means i gotta flip the project around to backtack. I like backtacking by hand anyways and I design projects to eliminate starts and stops, or to make seams cross to lock each other anyways. I make alot of canvas items on an old 1909 white rotary treadle machine with no reverse, so designing this way is important to save time and headache.

Thats true - the badges are really nice. Thats one reason I´m still hoping to find and older Consew 227R over here. Now that I know Seiko had "cool badges" too I`ll probably add one to my want list. Stupid I know but I love the vintage stuff. :) Thumbs up TinkerTailor

I agree. I think it looks cooler too! Do you know if the older seikos were built better? Or are they pretty much the same machine? I think I can live without the reverse function.

Reverse alone is not worth $750 in my book, other things being equal-ish. For that money you can buy a nice vintage 111 class flatbed to keep this one company.

Reverse alone is not worth $750 in my book, other things being equal-ish. For that money you can buy a nice vintage 111 class flatbed to keep this one company.

In the words of the youtube machinist, James Kilroy, "Its time to feed the monster"..........every machine needs another machine.........

Edited by TinkerTailor

Hahaha... I totally know it! Don't want them to get lonely, they are clearly social.