Walstr

How To Get A Darker Brown From Blk Walnut Husk Brew?

Greetings my new friends;

I made 4 gal. Black Walnut dye/stain, cooking husks 4 hours, then cooling overnight, filtered 5 times & bottled. It's not as dark a brown as I would like. Soaking samples for 1 hour or overnight, produced same color tone.

This photo shows my leatherwork 'practice' session results. The hatchet sheaths are from same piece of veg tanned hide, the multi-tool sheath from various small scraps.

Shall I put it all back in the pot over low flame to evaporate the water? Will this necessarily produce a darker brown color?

Thanks for any comments/critiques.

Wally

post-67703-0-78636000-1448769646_thumb.j

i made some walnut dye myself,left the leather in overnight and i darkened it by rubbing some olive oil on it. probably neatsfoot oil will darken it more.

only did it once but it worked for me

That's why I included those pics, oiling just gave me a darker tan color. Has anyone used heat to evaporate water from the walnut stain to concentrate it? Does that work?

Hello, I'm looking thru this site trying to find out how to dye veg-tanned leather with homemade walnut dye. I started out dyeing wool and plant fiber cloth. Let the husks just ferment outside in 5 gal bucket, that makes color darker. You can also simmer the dilute dye to concentrate it, but it can tak days! A crockpot is handy because then you don't have to watch the temp as much. Just yesterday I was making dye bath up and added 1/2 cup iron liquor to 3.5 gallon fermented walnut juice...gave me a lovely DARK shade of brown! Much nicer than walnut alone. How did you apply walnut dye? Wet leather first or no?  

Hope this helps, and I hope you can help me too! 

....or just pour some Fiebings dark brown spirit dye into the mixture.  ;-)