Matt T

S.b. Foot - Anyone Interested?

I'd like some feedback from folks here on whether there is interest in buying S.B. Foot leather. I live near the tannery, and I've been in touch with them over the last few weeks. They are open to having their leather resold through my store, but I would like to reach out to the community to gauge the level of interest, and figure out what types of leather you are most interested in. Based on the pricing I was quoted, here is what the pricing would be if I carried their leather in my store:

Standard - 8.00 / sf

Belt Grade - 8.75 / sf

Waterproof - 8.75 / sf

Belt Grade Waterproof - 9.50 / sf

I don't have a listing of leather types or colors right now, but products made from their leather can be seen here:

and here:

The grading the tannery uses is confusing, probably on purpose. For clarification.

Standard is tannery run, belt grade = A grade, Waterproof = standard + waterproofing?

Waterproofing back and front? Wax or spray?

When you ship out the leather how is it packed to prevent damage in shipment?

Would be open to it granted there was a good amount of info on the colors, tannage, weights, etc. You pretty much only see belts and boots made from SB Foot stuff so its hard to visualize. I know a great deal of us make smaller items (wallets, card holders, etc) in lighter weights and there is always room for more options at the 3-4oz level. So many distributors neglect the lighter weights.

Edited by jk215

Isn't almost $9 sqf a bit much for a chrome tanned leather intended for work boots a bit rich?

Isn't almost $9 sqf a bit much for a chrome tanned leather intended for work boots a bit rich?

Possibly, and I appreciate the feedback. Keep in mind these are not straight chrome tanned leathers; they are re-tanned. Also made in America.

The grading the tannery uses is confusing, probably on purpose. For clarification.

Standard is tannery run, belt grade = A grade, Waterproof = standard + waterproofing?

Waterproofing back and front? Wax or spray?

When you ship out the leather how is it packed to prevent damage in shipment?

I'll have to look into how the waterproofing is done. As for the shipping, I intend to roll the leathers, wrap with craft paper, and box in a large rectangular cardboard box.

To prevent damage in shipment, a round cardboard roll or rolled cardboard extending past the edges of leather could be use. I remember reading a shipment from a supplier that was damaged. The round roll may not be the answer but I would be more willing to do business with a reseller if they do try to prevent these things as.

The leather looks like another good choice similar to horween's.

If your looking for opinions the Japanese leather from leathercraftgoods.com would be a good addition. It had a very beautiful pale tan and felt like a retan. On the opposite side I would be interest in a reddish tanned european veg tan. If the price is fair and quality is consistent that would be the two deal breakers.

Edited by DavidL

Since I live in st. paul, yes I would be interested. are we talking scraps or sides?

Since I live in st. paul, yes I would be interested. are we talking scraps or sides?

Not scraps or second grade. These would be tannery run or first grade sides (I am leaning toward first grade, aka "belt grade").