DavidL

Why Is This Bag Opening Permenatly Open?

Is the gusset made too large? No stiffener? Leather too thick?

Or can piping not be placed near the zipper because that thickness at the edge doesnt allow it to fold over? This sounds most plausible. Thoughts?

post-34060-0-65568400-1448866231_thumb.p

David I doubt that it's due to the piping being close to the zipper. It looks like you have some tension that could have been caused by your gusset or the stitching of that.

Sometimes it takes a little to get a bag to "settle down" after flipping inside out.

Depending on the type of leather and weight used, and what stage you are at in finishing, there are a couple things to try:

One of the things to do is to force that fold over and hammer it flat, It is trying to return to the grain to grain position you sewed it in. Do this a few times over a few days, I seem to get better results this way.

Also, dampening the leather on the gusset and then putting a box or something else rectangular into the bag, stuff old socks or rags into the corners to fill them out and then let the bag dry with the box in it and the zipper closed. You don't need to wet the whole bag, just the seams in question and the leather a little to each side. This works better on veg leathers but will also work on chrome a bit. Test first if the water is going to leave marks in your situation.

Get tough with it. The more that corner is massaged into position, the better. Obviously use very smooth faced hammers and the like, however it is leather, it can take a beating.

It can be quite perplexing how the geometries interact when doing curved corner gussets, or gussets in general especially once you add piping., i have found.

Hammer or bone folding may work. The bag opening reminds me of a backpack opening.

David I doubt that it's due to the piping being close to the zipper. It looks like you have some tension that could have been caused by your gusset or the stitching of that.

I meant to say the width of the top piece is too short so there isnt enough material to fold over?

The thing to focus on is that the inside edge is facing sideways not downwards. If the edge is skived more and especially at the corner this could be the remedy?

Shorten the top gusset length (is that what it is called?) preventing there to be too much leather length, not too short either where it is distorts? widen the pattern so that there is more material?