cgleathercraft

Moving The Shop Out Of The Home...

The house seems to be getting smaller and I'm in need of another shop. The bedroom I'm currently working out of just isn't cutting it anymore. So I've been looking at portable buildings, carport conversions, and enclosed car trailers as potential shops. I can't do a permanent building as a renter but i'm sure I can talk the landlord into a portable building.

-- the portable building - betweeen $6 - $7k + options - 12'x24'

basically 4 walls a floor and a roof. no insulation or wiring pre-installed so that'd probably add another $2k to do the bare minimum. I would also have to pack water in and out along with anything that shouldn't freeze in the winter if i don't keep it heated.

-- carport conversion - cost unknown (haven't looked into it very close yet).

This was offhandedly mentioned and I've heard of others trying it out. I'm not liking the idea having to build up the walls and potentially have to walk on gravel till i could get a floor built. Sealing it against the elements is another issue. Not the preferred way in my mind unless someone can give knowledge of their own hands on conversion.

-- enclosed car trailer - between $7 and $9k + options

the thought with this is if i start going to shows I could pack the entire shop up and set up on site and have everything at my disposal. Power would be required in this case so i'd need to add a generator before I start being mobile. a 24 or 30 foot trailer would be preferred. some come with lighting already ran so i'd just need to run some outlets and some extra lighting in the tooling/cutting/finishing areas. Most of these already have some form of insulation in the walls so heating would be much easier and lower cost. a small propane heater would be adequate with proper ventilation. The biggest issue with this investment....i don't own a truck to pull it but plan to with my next vehicle. Borrowing one is no problem as both my Father and Father-in-law have an extra farm truck that could be used. I don't plan to start going to shows for a while so it will probably sit for at least a couple years.

I'm open to suggestions, thoughts, and concerns. I can't stay where I'm at so its going somewhere. this purchase will be held off for at a minimum of 6 months i'd just like to be sure on what i get.

Being a renter the only option I see that remains viable is the trailer. I'm not sure how advantageous having your entire shop at a show but it is an option.

Thats my 2cents.

We are renting from a family member so i'm sure a portable building would be ok if it came to it.

Having the full shop at a show would be nice since repairs could be done quickly and on site along with cleanings or adding in some custom stuff.

You might check on local zoning laws. Some places won't allow you to put even a trailer on the lot.

Zoning won't be an issue. Perks of living in a farming community. Ponies outnumber people in town. In-laws raise and show Shetlands. They have won tons of awards and recently featured on the cover of a magazine.

What about a 20' container. I can find them around here around $1500 -$2000. Sometimes the 40' containers come up for the same price. You would have to wire in electrical. It can be painted to match the house. Delivery cost will depend on where the container if coming from.

What about a 20' container. I can find them around here around $1500 -$2000. Sometimes the 40' containers come up for the same price. You would have to wire in electrical. It can be painted to match the house. Delivery cost will depend on where the container if coming from.

That had crossed my mind. They have lots of benefits but the problem is getting it into position. We have tractors at our disposal so it wouldn't be too difficult. we would just tear up the whole yard getting it where we want it. Moving it also becomes an issue if we ever decide to relocate. If I had to go this route I'd probably just buy a whole enclosed trailer and a semi to pull it. Then get my CDL (scary thought there).

I think I'd consider buying a used travel trailer, especially if you can arrange hookups for utilities. If the furnishings are ratty, so much the better .. it'll lower the price, and you'll want to strip them out anyway. They have at least some amount of storage built-in as well as plumbing, electricity, heat and cooling. Reinforce the floor with some thick plywood under your tooling area and possibly your sewing machine. Leave the facilities in place for travelling to shows and fairs, etc (VERY handy to have at hand). It's probably more expensive than a car trailer, but might come out better off for the stuff that's already in place and doesn't need to be purchases and installed.

Just a thought

Bill

Bill has a good idea but I think I would look into a decent used horse trailer. Maybe small living quarters for the plumbing etc. Many of them have a walk through door to the back. Just remove the dividers and you have a wide open workshop that is a LOT sturdier than a normal travel trailer.

I had not considered a travel trailer nor a horse trailer. Those are both options i should keep in mind. However, adding heat/ac to any trailer is fairly simple with a ceiling unit. I'll not rule those options out. Just add them to the list of possibilities.

That's only fun if you have Mog in the passenger seat tho, Tinker.

Bill

Winnebego with a cummins swap. Way more fun than towing a trailer. The ship in spaceballs was a winnebego

I wish i had the time and the money to do that, would be a lot of fun. As long as we don't go plaid.

As previously stated, 20' or a 40' shipping container. The 20's are easy to move around on a flatbed tow truck (rental house), can be wired for AC, window installation for natural light and ventilation. Can easily be insulated and finished out. The frame can be modded out for big swing open doors ect. I'd opt myself for two 20's and place them side by side and have a walk through cut out.

I added a ceiling and a floor to 16 feet of my 24 ft wide car port, . . . put in a non vented propane heater, . . . and I love it.

It is my leather shop, . . . reloading room, . . . private get away room, . . . and by being on the other side of the car port, . . . I stay dry traversing the two, . . . but they are far enough apart that no smells cause problems in the house.

I had thought of the trailer, . . . a good dual axle with steel siding, . . . steel studs, . . . foam insulation, . . . would be hard to beat. You won't lose money on the trailer, . . . hook it up and go when you move, . . . and you won't have to get ready for shows, . . . just unplug from the house, . . . hook to the truck, . . . and drive.

May God bless,

Dwight

I just bought a DIY metal building from Mueller to store feed and other things in. Its a 12X15 with 8 foot walls and a roll up door, I added their floor kit and middle wall braces to strengthen it and make adding shelves easier and it was $1700. Mueller sells the buildings as kits that come with everything you need to put it together.